Sign in to follow this  
Guest MikeMiraglia

Help landing a helicopter

Guest MikeMiraglia

Greetings all. I have been getting into helicopters in FS9 lately, but I struggle landing them correctly. I get fairly close to my intended landing destination, but when I near the ground I always end up floating backwards, usually a few yards off of the pad. Does anyone have some advice for landing helicopters with a shred of success? Is there perhaps a website or another forum here that might be of assistance? Thanks,-Mike

Head on over to hovercontrol.com That is a great site for all things concerning helicopters.

Guest MikeMiraglia

Thank you much. I have actually been to that site in the past, but completely forgot about it. Thanks again,-Mike

Guest MikeMiraglia

It's certainly worth a try. Thanks for the info.-Mike

Guest Captain Geoff

If you want to fly military birds - the vusn.org flies a variety of military helos - from the lowly TH-57 up through the SH-53 Sea Stallion and the V-22 Osprey. We have extensive training and check rides. If you are serious about flying helos it is a good place to learn and fly with others online.vCDR Geoff McLean, VUSNHC-5, "The Providers", Commanding

Guest MikeMiraglia

I took a look at the website and was immediately intrigued. I am going to get my new computer and gear set up and I will be back there soon. Thanks for the link,-Mike

Rob, a search for your file was unnsuccesful? Help?

Dave Taylor gb.png

Works for me. Copy and paste the name in the regular search field or extended search > filename. It'll turn up either way. Don't forget to include .zip.

Mike...

Yep, did that and nothing? Maybe you can post the .url?

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest ChrisQ

I was browsing the posts in this thread, as I'm a newbie to MSFS & also have problems landing helos. I checked out the site you mentioned....vusn.org. I'm speechless! Where do I sign up?On second thought....I need to complete the MSFS lessons first.Question, sir. What skill level do you have to be at to begin with? I have FS2004 & have just completed the student pilot lessons.System specs:AMD 2600+ x64, 1.6 GHz1 GB memoryATI 9660 video120 GB MaxtorThanks for the link & looking fwd to your response,Chris

Two or three referals should set you up:http://www.copters.com/pilot/maneuvers.htmlhttp://www.ausflightsim.net/article71.htmlAnd (payware) video training stuff from Sporty's-So You Want to Fly Helicopters-Advanced Helicopter Flying-Helicopter Cross-Country-Advanced Helicopter Cross-Country to be found athttp://www.sportys.com/downloads/Good luck, happy hovering :)PS although Rob B. did a fantastic job on the hover gauge, you really don't need it, moreover it doesn't help you one bit mastering to hover a chopper... And as a fixed wing nut..even I managed to learn to hover (and screw it up now and again ;) )Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://fool.exler.ru/sm/fly2.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

Guest MikeMiraglia

I did give the hover gauge a try, and it certainly did make things a lot easier, but I decided to master this whole hovering thing on my own...and with a little help from the folks at Hover Control. I have been getting much better since practicing nearly 12 hours this weekend. I think it was just hard for me to adjust to using throttle for elevation and stick for speed. But now that I am getting the hang of this I am loving it. I even made a bunch of really nice carrier landings this morning. Thanks for all those links.-Mikep.s. I would recommend Tim Conrad's Hughes MH-6C for learning to hover.