Sign in to follow this  
acmech

mipmap questions?

Does anybody know of a program that can convert a large amount of files to have mipmaps?Does anybody know if megascenery(for fs9) files use mipmaps?I just picked up this great deal on megascenery for $30 buckshttp://pcaviator.com/shop/viewAProduct.php?pid=777I have read somewhere in the screen shot forum where a poster claims he is getting great performance because he applied mipmaps to every single texture he could in his fs2004.My current system will run great in default scenery areas and most payware but when I fly into megascenery areas the textures have a hard time loading. When I use extended terrain textures loading time is about 10x slower then when the option is unchecked.I was thinking maybe adding mipmaps to all the textures would help the issue.Current system:Intel 6600 dual core overclocked to 3.0 with 3 gigs of ram8800 gt 768 mbwindows xp

Hi there,all FS9 ground textures, generic or photoreal, use DXT1 format with seven mipmaps; in fact, they don't work without mipmaps.There are a number of texture tools that allow batch processing. Imagetool.exe, which is included in the FS9 Terrain SDK, is the utility ACES provided for FS developers.The reason for the increased loading time with (FS9) photoreal textures is that the sim has to load and place >5000 individual tiles with extended terrain textures OFF, and >20,000 tiles with extended terrain textures ON. The only tweaks that can help a bit are file storage-related, i.e., defragmentation, faster harddisk, etc.).Cheers, Holger