Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hanse_1

FS9 texture mass conversion tool?

Guest Hanse_1

Hi!I wonder if you know of any batch/mass conversion tool forthe textures in FS9; e.g. to convert DXT1 to DXT3, or to standardbitmaps?Grateful for tips.Thanks!Hans HermanssonSweden

Imagetool can do batch processing from a command line, you'd need to place a copy of imagetool into the folder you wish to process and run a command such as:imagetool -nomip -DXT3 *.bmpHere are the available commands (this list you get when you type "imagetool -?":Usage: imagetool [flags] Where flags are:-batch Force batch processing-verbose Verbose output [DEFAULT]-brief Brief output-nogui No GUI-nobeep Turns off batch file beeping-tga Output files are in targa (tga) format-dds Output files are in DirectX (dds) format-bmp Output files are in bitmap (bmp) format [DEFAULT]-imgui Output format is to be used by IMGUI-auto Output format is picked automatically-DXT1 Output format is compressed DXT1-DXT3 Output format is compressed DXT3-32 Output format is 32-bit-24 Output format is 24-bit-4444 Output format is 16-bit (4444)-1555 Output format is 16-bit (1555)-565 Output format is 16-bit (565)-8 Output format is 8-bit palletized [DEFAULT]-detail Output format is to be used as a detail texture-gauge Output format is to be used in a flight sim gauge-terrain Output format is to be used as a generic terrain tile-terrainphoto Output format is to be used as terrain photo scenery-border Create a 1 pixel border around the image-hasborder The image already contains a 1 pixel border-lm The image is a light map-mask The image is a mask texture-tile The image self tiles-fold Fold the Edge colors for clamped textures-mip Generate mip maps [DEFAULT]-nomip Do not generate mip maps-invert Invert the alpha channel-warning Enable warnings (FS specific) [DEFAULT]-nowarning Disable warnings-verify Verify that the image matches the given settings-stop Show a warning dialog (only used with -verify) [DEFAULT]-nostop Do not show a warning dialog (only used with -verify) [DEFAULT]-alpha Allow alpha in the bitmap (only used with -verify)-noalpha Do not allow alpha in the bitmap (only used with -verify)-e [string] File extension to use given by [string]-r Recursively traverse the sub directories-? [string] Help on the topic given by [string]Batch processing only occurs if one of the command line options is supplied; otherwise,the images are opened in imagetool for manual processing.DXT1 is typically used in scenery textures where DXT3 is often used for aircraft textures (if you use this on scenery textures leave out the -nomip switch, you need mips with scenery textures). DXT1 from my experience gives poor results on aircraft and DXT3 conversion can't bring back color depth that's already been lost through conversion to DXT1. For example, an alpha channel consisting of many shades of gray will be converted to strictly black or white once converted to DXT1, converting back to DXT3 will not bring back the many shades of gray, so honestly I can't see a need for a DXT1 > DXT3 conversion. The batch processing ability of Imagetool is useful however in converting 32 bit aircraft textures to DXT3, although I believe DXTBmp yields a higher quality result.Imagetool is included in the Gmax gamepack SDK if you don't already have a copy, the SDK can be downloaded here:http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/d..._gmax_setup.exeI would highly recommend making backup copies of any textures you plan to convert prior to running imagetool, at least until you figure out what works and what doesn't.Good luck,Jim

Guest Yak Yak

you can actually convert all your AI textures to DXT1 if you want.I fly with 100% AI, but i don't spend time looking at them close....so i prefer the performance boost. (it'll turn a 1meg file down to about 600k).btw, you can even batch convert all the folders at once with this string. BE WARNED! Move the "to be converted" folders to somewhere else first...put this line into a batch file, and then run it. This is for DXT1 btw....imagetool.exe -r -batch -DXT1 -e bmp "*.bmp"-feng

Guest Hanse_1

Hi guys!And thanks for your tips, I'll try them.Hansinsweden

Sorry to revive this thread but I can't find Imagetool, does anyone have a download link?

I think the Terrain SDK for FS9 has Imagetool included. Just google "fs9 sdk" and you should find a working link.

Thank you, I found the Imagetool in the FSX SDK! Upcoming higher res textures for FS9.