Sign in to follow this  
Egbert Drenth

Does refresh rate influences frame rates?

Hi,Recently I was given a 21" CRT monitor, so I can set different refresh rates ranging from 70 to 120Hz.Does it makes difference for the frame rates if I set the refresh rate to 120Hz?In other words, do I get lower frates in FS9 with higher refresh rates?

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Guest JeanLuc_

I guess it matters only if the sim is computing faster than your display refresh rate, and when you have wait-for-v-sync enabled.However, the display side of the video card must access more often the video card memory (the frame buffer) with a higher frame rate, and this may create memory bus contention for the other side of the card, that actually draws to the framebuffer at the same time.I don't know what is the state of the art in current-gen video card hardware, but a few years back the higher the frame rate, the higher the contention, the lower drawing speed.Why not trying and let us know :)

Hi Jean-Luc,I have set my frame rates in FS9 max at 24.But as you know there is a distinct difference when having 60Hz or 75Hz as monitor refresh rate. At 60Hz the screen flickers, regardless the frates in FS9.I'm wondering if it makes a difference for FS9 frates if setting the monitors refresh rate to 85Hz or even 120Hz.Wait for V-Sync is off by the way, don't have a clue what this does ;)

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Monitor refresh rate impacts a condition called "tearing". Vertical sync is used to avoid tearing, by ensuring that the card never modifies the physical video buffer except when Vertical Sync shows the vertical CRT gun is outside the visible display area.By increasing your refresh rate you reduce the amount of time between CRT image updates... which thus reduces the amount of time the video card can access the physical video buffer.Many have turned off Vertical Sync.. and thus it's not an issue, however if you have it on... higher refresh rates for your CRT can have a negative performance impact.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest rwrea

I would probably go with refresh rate that is recommended by the Manufaturer of the monitor. A higher refresh rate(like 120) will probably shorten the life of the monitor. But, what do I know....I don't like OC'ng either.