Sign in to follow this  
DaryllB25840

NORTHERN EXPOSURE

Some may remember the popular TV show "Northern Exposure" 1990-1995. It was located in the fictitious town of Cicely Alaska but filmed in Roslyn Washington. I was wondering if someone would like to take a shot at fixing the best location for Cicely Alaska from the clues given in the TV series. I don't think every clue can be used to fix Lat. & Long. to a specific location in Alaska so maybe priority of the clue should be a consideration. If we can fix a location by Lat & Long. maybe a scenery designer could recreate the town of Cicely Alaska (Roslyn, WA) for FS9. If you think you have found the best spot could you please reply to this thread with the Lat & Long. from the default FS9 GPS.Below is the link that I copied and pasted the FAQ's from.http://www.gate.net/~kimi/nxfaq.txtF. Where is Cicely?An offshoot (and popular disussion) is, where is Cicely? Nobody knows for sure-- it's right next door to Springfield, USA. Like The Simpsons, the producers and writers of NX have sprinkled enough misleading clues that it cannot be pinpointed exactly. Some include:It's in the 63rd parallel, placing it in the main body of the state. [Hello, I Love You]You can travel from Cicely to Cantwell on Route 8 (Ruth-Anne and Walt did), which again places it in the main body of the state. [Hello, I LoveYou]. And Route 6 also leads into town [una Volta in L'Inverno]The men run naked out to Highway 1 when the ice breaks [spring Break]It's just across the border from Sixty Mile, in Canada. [NorthernHospitality]It is within a 75 mile radius of 143 degrees W, 62 degrees N, according to the ice-sculpture at Maurice's feast. [The Big Feast]The address on the post card that Joel sends to Maggie isMaggie O'ConnellP.O. Box 86Cicely, AK 99729An alert reader of the group notes that 99729 is the zip code for Cantwell, AK.It's north of the Arctic Circle because they spend some days in complete darkness [Northern Lights] and some days in complete light [Midnight Sun]It's south of the Arctic Circle because they don't have permafrost.[survival of the Species]It's 40 air-minutes from Anchorage, the nearest hospital. (Joel tells Shellyshe'll be going there to deliver. [baby Blues]) Maggie also receives her flight service briefings from Anchorage.It's 200 miles from the next nearest town. [ill Wind]It's 200 miles from Sleetmute, and not too far from Unalaklee.It's 400 miles from Soldotna (the length of the drive for the owner of "Rick" the dog.) [Animals R Us]It's 500 miles from Sourdough. [spring Break]It's located along a river (or at least Roslyn, WA is), and is 1000 milesfrom Anchorage [Kaddish] (which of course, means that Maggie's little Cessna 170 travels at 1500 miles an hour :-)It's in the panhandle, because the specific Indians mentioned are Pacific Northwest tribes (Tlingit and Haida.)It's in the panhandle portion that runs along the coast next to Canada ("Thecusp of the new Alaskan Riviera" - premiere episode)At least we know that it's on a major log truck route, and there are paved roads nearby [premiere].-----------------------------------------------------------------------G. Other facts about CicelyAccording to some publicity photographs, the population is 215 and elevation is 6572 feet. Other people have reported that Brand and Falsey set the town's population at 839, since they were originally paid $839,000 an episode. In "Survival of the Species" Ed states it as 849, which was confirmed in a few later episodes. In the episode where Miranda Bliss Vincoeur was born, it was stated as probably 844.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I enjoyed that show whenever I got a chance to watch it. Always thought it would be nice to create an "Emma Field" but for Alaskan bush pilots. Would make a fun project for some hardy soul.

Good show. I didn't get to watch it all that I wanted but liked what episodes I was able to catch. My guess would be that a number of the clues contradict each other on purpose so as to not fix one location. Kind of like Gotham City and Metropolis of Batman and Superman, it's a generic town just for the series. Maybe take the location most supported by the facts given in the series and put the town there.