Sign in to follow this  
Mike_CFII_MEL

Airport Facilitator X - Is this what I need

Hi,Just looking for some information, I hope someone can help. I only use FS2004 and I have replaced many default airports with payware. I have also updated many of the default airports with freeware (BTW: I Want To Say Thank You To The Freeware Developers).I am not crazy about the look and/or position of some of the airport taxiway/runway signage. Will Airport Facilitator X or some other program help me replace and adjust the placement of these signs?.I really only have a couple of problems with some of the signage. 1. Some of the Taxiway/Runway signs do not have any legs, they just sit on the ground.2. Some of these signs are placed right on the taxiway.3. Some signs are duplicated.Just one other thing, I am looking for a program that dose not require me to be a rocket scientist when it come to designing/adding/replacing these objects, if that is possible.Thanks For The Help

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

My experience:It does make a few things pretty easy indeed, excludes, etc., and the ability to preview changes in the sim is great.To your specific concerns, taxiway signs are a bit of a PITA as it just isn't possible to move a sign to where you want it. Instead, signs have to be excluded and replaced. The problem being that often times (if not always, not 100% sure) default signs are placed in groups, and can then only be excluded as groups. Fiddling with one sign can result in having to replace half the signs you started with.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Hi Brian,Thanks for the information. Looks like I'll have to do more research before attempting this.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

All the taxi signs should sit on the ground in FS, not have legs.The ability to replace / remove / move taxi signs in FS2004 varies greatly by airport because there are a few different methods used to generate them. FS2004 is a transitional product with a mix of old and new coding techniques.On some airports they can be replaced wholesale with a general exclusing.On some airports they can be replaced one by one.On most airports you have to find first taxi sign in the code and exclude it - and all in the code behind it will be excluded.On some airports taxi signs are not XML code but older BGLC code macros - so cannot be excluded unless you exclude all scenery on the airport.What many people have done is create new taxi signs in the same position as the default taxi signs, trying to use a larger size to cover up the old signs.AFX might help at some airports, and will not at others.I'm not familar enough with AFX in FS2004 to know exactly how it works - you might ask on their forums - http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_topics.asp?FID=31I normally working with AFCAD in FS2004 and hand coding any signs in XML.You might also look at the Instant Scenery product to see if that does a better job in FS2004.