Sign in to follow this  
HoratioWondersocks

ILS +No default ATC question

Hello AllIf you make a flight without using the Default ATC can you still use the ILS? at your destination airport I am sure when i have tried(When NOT using the default ATC ) i would find myself veering of route and not picking up the ILS,Localiser etcWhen i fly with ATC there are no problems.cheers AndyPS is there something built into FS9 whereby you can only use the ILS landing system when you have been allocated a runway bye the default ATC controller ?

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

It makes no difference. ILS is part of the airports AFCAD fileRob

Rob Prest

I think you're asking can you use the ILS when it's VFR and either hand fly the ILS or couple it to the auto pilot. Sure can.If you're asking can you shoot the ILS in instrument conditions without ATC. Nope. You just can't bust in flying IFR and trying to talk to the tower without declaring an emergency. In instrument conditions ATC (approach control) has to clear you for the ILS on a given runway. That means they will vector you to a point at a given altitude to intercept the localizer at a slight angle to the runway heading before turning you over to tower control.In marginal VFR you could be cleared to a parallel runway that doesn't have a ILS in which case you can follow the ILS on the other runway and just do a side step when you have the cleared runway in sight.

HelloWhat i am thinking of is flying a plan created in FSNav and using just that ,no ATC at all, not IFR or VFR just doing my own thing.Will the ILS work in that situation.PS i normally fly with ATC always IFR jet airliners only,but just fancy a bit of peace from ATC constant chatter but still with the ability to use an ILS landing.cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

In the real world the ILS is a set radio beams, which transmitters are located at the end of the runway and are always turned on unless down for maintenance. Flight sim tries to duplicate those radio beams. The flags on your HSI or whatever instrument that displays your glide slope and localizer are there and pop up into view as a warning when the ILS (glide slope or localizer)signal is insufficient.

Hey Daryll, He's asking if default ATC affects ther aircraft picking up the ILS signal or not. Like I said it makes zero difference.Rob

Rob Prest

>What i am thinking of is flying a plan created in FSNav and>using just that ,no ATC at all, not IFR or VFR just doing my>own thing.Will the ILS work in that situation.Sure can. That is what I generally do. Setup the ILS freq and hdg, navigate to intercept the ILS as necessary and set APPR HOLD, when localizer is intercepted the ac will fly the approach. Remember to turn off FSNAV before trying to intercept otherwise it will still try to land the plane.CheersG

Load the flgit plan in FS and follow using the GPS. When close to destination, load the appropriate ILS procedure in the GPS. You can do the full procedure, or scroll down as desired and select a leg.scott s..