Sign in to follow this  
Guest Zevious Zoquis

Tip for AMD 64 FS9'rs...

Guest Zevious Zoquis

Just thought I'd post this for anyone who might not know about it. In getting FS and various other things re-installed and configured on my new system, I've come up against a few issues related to the new OS (Vista Home Premium) and the new hardware. One of the biggest was a performance problem in NR2003 ( a great Nascar racing sim) where the sim would get really choppy for a couple seconds at about 5 or 6 second intervals even though the fps were between 80 and 100 otherwise. I tried various suggestions I found to resolve the issue, but nothing worked till I came across a tip to disable the "Cool & Quiet" feature used on the AMD 64 cpus. Disabling this "feature" completely solved the problem, plus it reduced my general cpu occupancy at idle by about 5% overall. This might be old news, but maybe a few folks will benefit...(Al Gore fans might not like this though. :D )

Thanks. Can you lead me to where this is found?I ended up reverting back to XP as I kept getting "Out of Memory" error messages when trying to load FS9. A little strange I thought, on a system with 4GB of RAM and a 512GB GeForce 8500GT. Chris

Guest Zevious Zoquis

The cool & quiet feature is enabled/disabled in the BIOS. Boot up, and hit F2 (iirc) to enter the bios setup menu. I hear alot of complaints about Vista but so far I'm finding it to be pretty enjoyable to deal with. I certainly don't think I've had much more trouble migrating to it than I did going from win98 to XP. Once you disable UAC and tweak things some it works just fine, and it's pretty attractive too. I haven't had any out of memory issues yet. You might want to try running FS9 in XP compatability mode...

" I haven't had any out of memory issues yet. You might want to try running FS9 in XP compatability mode..."Hmmm....I hadn'thought of that one. Might give that a try, although I've get FS9 running SO beautifully, I hate the thought possibly messing something up. Where might I find the compatibility mode window?

I always disable anything designed to save power, heat or noise in computers. Which is a shame, because I'd like to save power when not playing games. But after early experiences with poor implementations of this stuff I throughly distrust it. Linux also seems to be better about this but only with painstaking configuration and testing.Seems like when a computer thinks it's smarter than you ....

Guest Zevious Zoquis

too true. The fact of the matter is that when most of these features are developed, they don't have "hard-core" simheads in mind...