Sign in to follow this  
Guest Alias

adding waypoints

Guest Alias

Hallo,does anybody know how to (or if it is possible) to add a waypoint to show on the default map? This is important when flying the SID and STAR according to the charts where I often find waypoints that are not in the original FS2004 database.Thank youLorenzo

Guest Jetfan

Lorenzo,If you want it to show on the default map, I think you must make a scenery '.bgl' file to build it, then install the scenery as an addon.Otherwise, you can create waypoints by slewing your plane to the spot you want and make a note of the coordinates and elevation. This method is detailed somewhere in the FS Help section.If you assign it a waypoint type 'N' (navigation directional beacon), it will show up in a flight plan, but not on the map.You can then build this 'waypoint' into any flight plan that is routed through the area by editing the '.PLN' file in the myflights folder.I made a small spreadsheet to keep track of waypoints I have created , mainly because they don't show on the map.See the HELP section, FS can explain it more simply than I can, it's really pretty easy.Cheers,Bob

Creating or moving waypoints is pretty straightforward. You need the FS9 bglcomp sdk, which provides the bglcomp compiler. The data is in a special format XML text file, which you can create with any text editor.There are two different kinds of waypoints in FS9/FSX. They are termed in the SDK "WAYPOINT" and "TERMINAL_WAYPOINT". The "wayponts" show up in the map and GPS in pink, and the "terminal waypoints" are blue. Waypoints are used in enroute navigation, and normally are part of IFR route structure (V or J in the sim, many letters IRL). "Terminal waypoints" are part of instrument approaches.Creating "waypoints" is the easiest. All you need is an xml text file in the following format:<?xml version="1.0"?>The lat and long can also be in DD MM SS format: lat="N37 24 42" lon="E126 30 36"Capitalization is enforced by bglcomp.exe as in the example.You need to get "magvar" from within FS9, or use something like AFCAD to decode a nearby airport and get it from there.waypointRegion is straightforward (You can use the airport ICAO first two letters) except in the US mainland they use K followed by a digit per the following assignments:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/186603.jpgYou can add as many waypoint blocks (all between and ) as needed. Compile using bglcomp.exe. I recommend putting the resulting bgl file in the existing default scenery area, /Flight Simulator 9/Scenery/Generic/scenery.Adding "route" links between waypoints is a bit more work, and probably not needed.The blue "TERMINAL_WAYPOINTS" are owned by specific airports to which they are related, and unless you are creating new approaches you should probably not work with these.I also recommend installing the flight planner "Super Flight Planner 4" from http://www.cpinf.com . sfp will decode all your scenery files into a database which you can display in a map view, which is easier to work with than having to keep starting and stopping FS9 to see the results of your work.scott s..

Guest Alias

Thanks Scott, great explanation.

Here is how I write mine ...I have also attached a copy of the actual xml file.Download and install the FS9 bglcomp sdk, which provides the bglcomp compiler...simply drag the xml file over the bgl exe and it will make a bgl file. Then move the bgl file to your scenery folder (I use the def world/scenery)<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/186645.zip