Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nealoc187

Why the heck is FS9 directing me and AI to a downwind runway

Guest Nealoc187

I'm using Ansari's KLGA and an afcad with all runways active for both arrival and departure, verified this with the Afcad editor.I was on arrival to KLGA and Radar Contact's ATIS said the wind was 210 @ 14kts, landing and departing runway 22, etc. All is fine and good. Then when I on the approach freq, it again tells me to expect vectors to runway 22. Immediately after it said "expect vectors to runway 22" it changed it's mind and said "expect vectors to runway 4" (which is obviously the other end of the same runway surface). I immediately checked the ATIS again and it was still saying runway 22. I requested runway 22 from RCv4.3 and it told me unable because of traffic, and after that it continued me on an approach to runway 4, and all AI traffic on an approach to runway 4, which could not have been more incorrect.So what mechanic of the sim is causing this situation. Even stranger is that it initially told me to expect 22 and yet still put me on 4.NC

Unfortunately, that is one of the quirks of Radar Contact. It doesn't always do too well with multiple open runways. You'll find that in the same scenario with the default ATC, it will put you on the proper runway. I think RC has a real problem reading AFCADs.Case in point. Today on the way to Lisbon from Newark, the departing runway is 22R and landing runway is 22L. My AFCAD has 22R closed to landing traffic and 22L closed to takeoff traffic. RC directs all of the AI to 22R, which is correct, and then directs me to 22L which it SHOULDN'T do because it is closed for takeoff in AFCAD. This happens at many airports and it is verifiable time and time again.I've also encountered your issue where I am first assigned the correct runway and all AI traffic is getting sequenced there, but, I get my runway changed to an incorrect runway. It's hit and miss.In either case, I will decline the new runway and request the correct one. As in real life, YOU are responsible for the safe operation of your aircraft regardless of what ATC is babbling about.Even though I enjoy RC, over the years I've found that it has a LOT of limitations and omissions. I hope that they are fixed in the next version.

>Case in point. Today on the way to Lisbon from Newark, the>departing runway is 22R and landing runway is 22L. My AFCAD>has 22R closed to landing traffic and 22L closed to takeoff>traffic. RC directs all of the AI to 22R, which is correct,>and then directs me to 22L which it SHOULDN'T do because it is>closed for takeoff in AFCAD. This happens at many airports>and it is verifiable time and time again.Just asking - but is 4R also closed for takeoff? Because FS9 and FSX does not have two runways - just one Rwy 4R with a reciprocal end - 22L.Unless you have aircraft parking on the east side of the airport near the Taxiway Y / CC intersection - you should not close 4R/22L at KEWR for anything. Just close 4L/22R for landing. For the OP - the crosswind runway technique used to open all runways does make tailwind landings highly probable because only ONE runway on the airport is used to control all the runways.There can be only two runway use configurations with this technique -and at airports with widely divergent runway headings like KLGA - this will ensure tailwind landings/ takeoffs.

Radar Contact does not put properly constructed pseudo runways for the star method in its database. They should be short and have no starting points.

Sometimes FS9 AI do strange things. Some of this might be due to the star runway technique as Reggie noted. If after you are on approach RC detects an AI landing incorrectly it will reassign you to that runway AI used. Make sure you are using the current FSUIPC as that is the "reporting agent" for all AI to RC. You can install the .dll over your current one in the modules folder.http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.htmlMake sure in RC's options you have Interact With AI checked.

Yep, 4L/22R closed for landing, 4R/22L closed for takeoff. Yep there are aircraft parked on the NJTP side of the airport occasionally and I don't want them mucking around trying to take off on 4R/22L. Is there a benefit to not closing 4R/22L for takeoff? I don't mind moving the parking spaces if there is a benefit.Thanks,Mike T.

I would not say there is a "benefit" but we do see more problems and more issues the more we deviate from the FS standard setup.Kind of the "Less is More" theory.I will only close a runway now if it is essential for operation. Usually, I close one runway for takeoff and a parallel for landing.If I'm reading your posts correctly - the AI aircraft parked there work correctly, it's just the user aircraft which gets the wrong runway assignment.Do understand that the AI ATC programming and the UI ATC programming were written by different groups - and there are some areas where AI and UI work differently.This may be one - because you always have the option of requesting a different open for takeoff runway.