Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest James451

Better snow textures?

Hello all-before my snow/ice textures sharpen into focus they show ugly lines across them. I seem to remember a set of replacement textures that remove or minimize this effect. Anybody know of these? Cheers

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Have you looked at:newglacier.ziporsnow_textures.zipBoth here in the library - found using Snow as the search criteria.Perhaps one or the other will be what you are looking for.

Yes I have tried these and the default ones.I am using VOZ now but it still happens. I seem to remember the textures were specifically mentioned to eliminate this problem and may have been mentioned in another scenery I installed.Cheers

Hi there,it's actually not a problem with the textures but rather the blending mask that fits adjacent snow/ice textures together.Joachim Buhre made a patch package that fixes this and other issues with the FS9 blending masks. Available at his site: http://www.jobia.de/ as item 5 "Terrainmask patch".Information is in German but you just need to unzip the package and copy the 63 .bmp files in the Terrain Mask Patch folder into your SceneryWorldtexture folder and overwrite the default files.None of the available texture add-ons change these specific files and the patch works for all of them so there won't be any compatibility issues. Still, if you want to do a test first, rename the current 001b2m11.bmp into 001b2m11.bmp.bak and copy Joachim's version in its place. That's the blending mask file for ice and snow textures. The other bmp files are for similar though less obvious issues with other types of ground textures.Cheers, Holger

Great post Holger!Quick question............Is the package needed or recommended to use with your Glacier Bay and/or Misty Fiords etc. sceneries or did you incorporate this into them?

Many thanks Holger that was exactly what I was looking for.Worked perfectly.Cheers James

Hi guys,you're welcome, James.David: Misty, Tongass, and Glacier Bay use their own textures and blending masks so the issue doesn't occur. Like I mentioned, though, Joachim's patches are compatible with all add-ons.Cheers, Holger