Sign in to follow this  
G550flyer

bounce on landing

Hi guys, i hope you can help me out here. I have the sga md80 and it will bounce on touch down. No matter how smooth the touch down, the plane will bounce after touching. If i arm the spoilers, the plane will do a quick hop. I think there is something going on with the main gear compression.

Hello!If you are landing too fast, that may be the case... or you may be landing overweight too: in real world landing overweight will have the opposite effect, but in FS landing gear has no limit on the force it can generate... it simply compresses until it equals the force needed, and if the plane then goes on by inertia it may genreate even more force and bounce it up in the sky ... it is quite complex ...check out the maximum landing weight and your landing speed...But... since you're a good pilot I may guess there might be an issue with the aircraft too... http://www.mario.wspilots.com/signature_forum.gifhttp://www.mariopilot.6x.to

signature.jpg

Well i knew someone would respond that way. I am a real world pilot. c-141b=900 hrs, dc10 3000 hrs, current g-5 200 hrs. As you stated usually a bounce will result from excess speed or sink. Crossing the thresh on speed/ on glide path was a pet peeve of mine as a instructor. As long as you avoid those in real life, you wont bounce. Ive been flying fs2004 for years now. Ive seen a couple of planes that bounce and this is 1 of them. In the real world holding off in the flare while attempting the greaser can lead to the mains skipping along. All of the other planes i fly in fs land fine. This 1 bounces even if you land in a text book fashion. Thanks for the reply though.

I have the SGA MD80, but I have modified the FDE a bit but it's been several years since the modification. I do know I changed the MOI's, and much of the aircraft geometry, but I can't recall if I did much with the contact points. I don't have any trouble with landing, but then maybe I've been doing it wrong all along :-) Another thought: does it happen at only one airport? If so, it may have to do with the airport more than the plane. Sometimes the AFCAD does not match the substrate elevation exactly which can cause the bouncies. Anyway, send me a PM with your email and I can send my cfg and air file for the MD80 to you if you'd like to give it a try. Mike

I have a 737 that had a similar problem. I removed the bounce by amending the following in the [contact_points] section of the aircraft.cfg file:point.0=1.0, 37.0, 0.0, -6.80, 1181.10, 0.0, 1.64, 43.70, 0.80, 2.50, 0.95, 6.0, 6.0, 0.0, 250.0, 300.0point.1=1.0, -3.16, -9.4, -7.80, 1574.80, 1.0, 1.64, 0.0, 1.0, 2.50, 0.95, 7.90, 7.90, 2.0, 250.0, 300.0point.2=1.0, -3.16, 9.4, -7.80, 1574.80, 2.0, 1.64, 0.0, 1.0, 2.50, 0.95, 8.10, 8.10, 3.0, 250.0, 300.0The 11th entry on each line is the damping ratio for the gear (0.95 in this example). If set too low (towards zero - undamped) then it seems that you're more prone to bounce since the suspension is stiffer. I put the figure up from 0.65 to 0.95 (close to critically damped) and the bounce went away.Worth a try. Make sure you back up your aircraft.cfg first.;)