Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bo

fs9 scenery config woes

Hi All,I have just loaded fs9 on my new rig which runs Vista 64.Scary in itself, but up till now everything has gone quite well. I have just begun to add addon scenery when this occurred.The first few addons went on as normal,however this morning I added a new scenery that required a flatten switch to be added to the scenery config. When I reloaded the sim after adding the scenery it was indeed there,however when I went to add the flatten lines to the scenery config,there was no entry for the scenery in the scenery config?Also there are no entries for the last two sceneries I added in the scenery config but they are showing up in the sim and working also. This is a stumper for me and any help would be greatly appreciated.Thx

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

There is more than one scenery.cfg file - which one were you working on?Flatten switches should be added to the scenery.cfg file which resides in your main FS2004 folder. Also be sure you have your "permisssions" in Vista set properly so that any additions you make are actually accepted.Good luck.

Opa:This got me to thinking. I have XP Pro 64 loaded on a second hard drive with a shortcut to my XP Pro 32 bit install of FS9 that I put there just to make sure everything was going OK. I had every intention of doind a clean install on the XP 64 drive.Do I really have to do all that? I mean, as long as I tweak the fs9.exe to tell the 64bit OS that it's largeadressware, wouldn't the only real limitation be the speed of the two drives? One is a 10k raptor, the other is a Seagate with 32mg cache, neither one particularly "slow". Not very tidy, I'll admit, but the more I think about it, what would the real problem be? :-)

Thanx David for the input, The only scenery config I can find is the one in the main Fs folder.What stumps me is that my first 3 addon sceneries show up in the config file as normal,but the last three I added are not there.Like I said in my original post though,even though I don't see them in the scenery config they are working properly in the sim.I am logged on as administrator and have "show hidden files checked off in folder options.Thx,any other thoughts.Bo

>Thanx David for the input, The only scenery config I can find>is the one in the main Fs folder.What stumps me is that my>first 3 addon sceneries show up in the config file as>normal,but the last three I added are not there.Like I said in>my original post though,even though I don't see them in the>scenery config they are working properly in the sim.I am>logged on as administrator and have "show hidden files checked>off in folder options.Thx,any other thoughts.BoLet me see if I understand you correctly:1. The last three scenery additions DO show up in the Scenery Library dialogue within FS2004 - correct?2. Any changes you made to the scenery.cfg file (adding a flatten statement) were done using Notepad - correct?3. When checking the scenery.cfg file now, you are scrolling all the way to the bottom (as that is where a new entry will be placed) - correct?I do not run Vista so cannot try to duplicate what you are experiencing but I can see no way that a scenery enhancement could display properly unless it is written in the scenery.cfg file.

Hi Dave,believe it or not,that is what I am saying. My last three sceneries I added are working perfectly in the sim but are not in my scenery config. The config shows the first three I added in sequence at the bottom but the next ones are not there but are working. I,ve been a simmer for almost twenty years,but this one really stumps me.I forgot to mention that when I added the scenery that needed the flatten(YUL)and couldn't find the entry at the bottom of the config I added the whole thing manually.I have since added three more sceneries that are working perfectly,but are not showing at the bottom of the config file. I know this is hard to believe but true.I know this must be a Vista thing and the entries are somehow hidden so I will spend time today trying to figure out more on how this Vista really works.I have tried to attach my scery config.If it is attached you will see the enries at the bottom. There are more sceneries added that are working but do not appear here.Thx Bo

Me again, well if you read this post again David all is good now.The main thing I had to do was turn user controls off before attempting to edit any files in vista.I did this and reinstalled the sceneries and all is as it should be.The only thing I can figure is somehow before the entries were hidden.I knew it would be a Vista thing.I will be adding a ton of scenery files,so I didn't want to proceed without a proper looking scenery config.I don't think Vista is as bad as made out but there is a bit of a learning curve as I am finding out.Also I am running 64bit so that I can have more ram available to me.Thx Bo

Glad to hear you got it all sorted out. I had a feeling it was one of those strange Vista related settings which I guess MS added as a way to try to "protect" users.