Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

january

FPS counter active in Pause?

Can anyone explain why the Frame Rate display remains active and bouncing around while FS is Paused? Certainly the whole image is frozen, yet something seems to be continuing at the processor level.And does the (red) display of the Frame Rate data have any impact on overall sim performance? Perhaps a performance gain with it off?(Why display FPS at all?- Well it gives me a visual clue as to when hitting the Refresh Scenery key will be of benefit. Frame rate can decline over time, without readily being noticeable.)Alex Reid

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

That is a most interesting observation - one which I had never noticed before.I seldom display the info and even less seldom have it display the FR so that probably explains why it was news to me.I have no answer but assume that not haveing it display does free up a little in the way of computer resources for other uses.As to why it fluctuates in Pause is another matter. Perhaps some expert will be able to enlighten us all.

I don't know for sure I but just always assumed the Pause button stops the simulation, not the working of FS itself. For instance, you can freely observe your plane in spot view while paused.----------I don't think the frame rate display has got any noticeable impact on the performance. Again, I don't in fact know how this is implemented but I imagine after drawing every frame a counter is increased and once in a while (seems to me like every half a second) the counter is read, reset and FPS is calculated and displayed. My very raw estimate is this all takes several

A couple of things I've discovered that continue functioning in Pause mode- the red "Parking Brakes" keeps flashing alternately with the message "Simulation Paused" and the Reality XP logo keeps rotating on the GPS.In addition, there must be a program loop that keeps waiting for me to Unpause the sim.Anything else?This is starting to sound like Trivial Pursuit!!!!Alex Reid