Sign in to follow this  
Guest mjtibbs

Possible to convert TP's downloaded scenery files to non FS9 type scenery?

Guest cbuchner1

This will get problems however if I decide to put all my low res BMP tiles into single "flat" files. I would be using filename redirects ("reparse") in the tileproxy.sys driver to make all the small tiles populate one file only. I think this would permit faster access by cutting out some overhead created by the NTFS file system (which has to locate tens of thousands of files currently).

Yes true!Hopefully you will publish your file format so that FSX photoscene can access it.If not I understand. I have developed a tile "downloader" feature which I currently use for my own limited personal testing. You can either specify a rectangle (using 2 pairs of lon/lat) or you can draw polygons in Google Earth of the areas you want and save them as a KML file. The downloader acquires the tiles automatically (based on the zoom level you specify) and feeds them to the "compositor" to build the BGL.I am happy to release a freeware FSX Photoscene with the downloader enabled as long as I can get it sanctioned by the powers that be (Google, Virtual Earth, Yahoo or whoever).I also am happy to put "throttling" in the downloader so that users cannot swamp the tile servers, for example restricting to one tile per second.Like TileProxy, the intention with FSX Photoscene is that it is freeware. If anyone reading this wants to somehow progress the sanctioning then please be my guest. Even if its just with Virtual Earth!

Matthew S

Guest The Wizard of Oz

G'day Matthew,Well yours is an very interesting development. My view is if that's going to rid us of the blurry problem at moderate to fast speeds ,then I'd rather have that than other features in TP at present. Matthew, I ask the question:will It ???All this cloak and dagger stuff about legal hurdles is real a pain. My view is that if its in the "fair use" category for personal use then it should be available. I put it in the same bag as copying TV programs for personal use on DVD-R discs which is now legally a "fair use" item - well here and in the US anyway that I know of.But I can understand that you guys are nervous. But lets hope that potential "hooks" between the two programs remain available as TP and KML develop.WOZ