Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Calibrating AI traffic to 29.92

Through TTools, I've set a lot of AI traffic to fly at FL370/350/330/310. When flying, though, I frequently hear ATC notifying AI traffic of being 300+/- assigned altitude... is this due to the altimeter setting on the AI aircraft? If so, how can it be reset to 29.92? It's nothing major, but I'd like to fix this if possible.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi gokalsub,It never occured to me that it would be their altimeter setting, but rather just flying out of specification. Haven't you ever been above or below your assigned altitude even though you had the correct Altimiter setting? I certainly have - for one reason or another.Frankly, I think it's just chatter that FS cranks in to make things sound and feel realistic.Regards, John

If you are using an active weather program or you manually update the weather through the fs2002 weather menu, they could be causing the differences you hear.The reason is that the aircraft will be flying at one pressure setting and then instantly another pressure setting is introduced. This occurs when the active weather or fs2002 weather picks up the nearest weather area that may have reported a different pressure setting.

Really ? Then why does that NEVER happen to me ? I can be cruising along and hit a pressure change, I certainly don't lose/gain 300ft. Even if I do lose A FEW feet, it surely is no where near 300, and <300 ATC won't warn you. You have any idea what kinda pressure change that would take ? So why would this happen to the AI ? I am much more inclined to believe, especially because of the frequency that it happens, that AI never adjust their altimeters one way or the other. Interesting question, I've wondered about this for awhile myself.

I use FSUIPC (maybe I need flameproof pants thesedays?:)) and have pressure and wind changes gradual:SmoothPressure=YesPressureSmoothness=10scott s..