Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

Sometimes black tiles - sometimes not

Hi I have just installed Tileproxy Beta 7 in FS9 - and found that on initial bootup, I was getting randomly placed black tiles including at my startup airport of Archerfield Australia. I did this a couple of times with the same resulthttp://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k59/Barr.../Tileproxy1.jpgI tried again after a short break (without touching any settings) and it worked great -no black tiles.http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k59/Barryward12345/TP3.jpghttp://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k59/Barryward12345/TP2.jpgI then shut the system down and tried again - and returned to black tiles again. This is all starting at the same airport and same FS time.Anybody else noticed this inconsistency in results.?I must say that considering that FS9 only uses 5 metre resolution - it is still quite exciting. Now to only solve this inconsistency problem.Barry

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hmmm - no comments from anybody so far regarding this - one way or the other @-@ But anyway, I am starting to have some success.It seems that sometimes on initial bootup at an airport, all of the relevant texture tiles are not loaded. It appears to be a bit hit and miss - and I am suspecting the ability of the map provider to send the textures at a particular point in time. However, a number of attempts seems to load all the necessary tiles and I can then fly. Really, all it means is that you have to fly in one area for a while to make the downloads worthwhile.Barry

Hmmm - I am wondering whay I cannot get a response to this post. Is this something that only I am experiencing?Thanks Barry

Hi Barry!Sorry, didn't mean to leave you hanging in the lurch, but it kinda sounded in your follow-up to your original post that you were making progress. So, still have sporadic black tiles ay?Some of the following were posted in the Quick Guide thread, but have you tried them or had different results from doing so:1. Have you turned OFF all virus "and other web screening" software. It may easily block downloads, and there's probably nothing to fear from the well known map services anyway.2. Looks like you're flying near Tingalpa Resevoir outside Brisbane using "Service 3", Y**** Maps. They seem to have the most evenly mapped high resolution coverage of that area, but just for troubleshooting sake have you tried changing locations and/or map services just to see if there might be some "problem" with your system loading that area with that particular map service, etc.3. If your using my pre-configured ProxyUser.ini file, are you CERTAIN that you're using ini for the appropriate FS version you're trying to load? (The FS9 ini limits resolution to 4.75 pix/meter... FSX may try to load highr LOD rings resulting in black tiles.)4. Are you ABSOLUTLY CERTAIN that every filter, firewall, or screening function of your virus AND your SPYWARE installations are completly OFF? Some programs have multiple filters etc...5. Are you sure only ONE map service has been selected?6. Have tried completely clearing you cache folders, and/or reinstalling TileProxy?If you can give us an idea of what you've tried already so far as trobleshooting and its results, maybe we can narrow down your issue.

I've also had sporadic black tiles during testing.It is the result of Tileproxy having to *guess* what resolution is needed. If FS9 actually wanted to load LOD 11 but Tileproxy downloaded LOD 10 instead, you get a black tile.Part of this problem is that I don't always have up-to-the millisecond exact information about aircraft position. So FS9 loads a tile that is within a given LOD circle, but Tileproxy thinks this tile is not yet or no longer within that circle. That can lead to some mismatch.Its always best to restart Tileproxy when re-loading a flight. Tileproxy internally keeps some states about which tiles have already been accessed before. So with a freshly started Tileproxy, flights will load best. Right after loading the flight there should be no black tile at all.After some minutes of flying, a few black ones may occur.Beta 6 was a bit better regarding the black tile issue, you may try this release instead.Christian

Thnaks for that advice.I am finding this Tileproxy to be very intriguing - even when using the lower resolution FS9. I think that this is what will be pointing me towards finally purchasing FSx - I have held off until now - and of, course, I would really then need to also upgrade my RAM to 2 Gig. I am finding that even with FS9, my 1 Gig RAM (which is normally sufficient) is being maxed out.I am finding that the more I fly in a particular area - the less problem I have with the black squares. I have used both Service 2 and Service 3. I started out using Service 3 as per Truthans recommendation - but then changed to Service 2 - but have now gone back.Tonight I have been flying around the Isle of Wight. It is obvious to me (also after looking at the Yahoo Maps website) that only the eastern side of the Isle of Wight has been photographed in high resolution. Flying round and round the island - which is about 10 miles by 20 miles, I could see high resolution tiles( at least the highest that FS9 can display) across the whole eastern side of the island (only) . But when flying into the lower resolution western side of the island the high res textures on the eastern side started to go away - and be replaced by either low res textures or black squares. At 2500 feet, you can easily see 10 miles away - is there any setting to prevent the high res textures from disappearing after they have previously appeared?You can see in this screenshot that some of the textures in the eastern half of the island have reverted back to a lower res.Thanks for any further adviceBarry