Sign in to follow this  
ziher

Tile proxy with FSX RTM

Hi, first thanks to Christian for most amazing addon for FSX ever, it rises sim to a whole new level. Although i recently upgraded my aging PC with AMDX2 6000+ CPU and Ati HD3870 card, scenery rendering simply doesn't work for me with SP2 while with RTM it works perfectly (to get simmilar terrain update speeds as in RTM i have to lock frame rate to 8 FPS in SP2:( while in RTM i can get that with framerate lock at 30 FPS). So i switched back to RTM but i get those water squares from time to time. Any chance it will get fixed or do i have to upgrade again to some Quad Core CPU so that SP2 performs similar to RTM?

I had problems with FSx SP2 as well - not in regard to Tileproxy, but just in regard to running the Sim itself (mostly graphics problems)- so I reverted to FSx plus SP1. Is there any reason that you want to go right back to FSX RTM? - it is well recognised that there were big and good changes with SP1- as far as I can see SP2 did not do much anyway.I am running TP on a FSX SP1 machine - with an Intel Dual core E6600 and an old Vid card ( 256 meg ATI X800) . I am quite happy with it - although it would perform much better with a later vid card.Barry

Problem is that with SP2 i get lots of blurries while with RTM terrain is displayed clearly all the time. Funny thing is that Tileproxy manages to download and convert textures faster then my SP2 install manages to display them. I tweaked FSX.cfg to death but nothing really helped much. Then i tried with my Triplehead2go turned off but still got blurries. Haven't tried SP1 yet but i recall having similar problems when i installed it on my old PC.I took some screenshots while flying few minutes south of KSEA (110 Kts at 1500 ft) at approximately same location for comparison. First one is RTM and the second one is SP2.

Found it:-). I just stumbled upon an article that says that to get best performance in SP1 you have to disable multicore support by entering this in FSX.cfg:[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=0001Well it definitely works for my SP2 install. Scenery is updating much faster, on par with RTM even with FPS locked at 30.Thanks for help Barry!

Guest cbuchner1

Really? If this is confirmed by multiple sources, I will gladly append this trick to the TP manual.

Careful Christian - my understanding of this is that this refers to what kind of core CPU that you are using, single, dual or multi. So using this in the FSx file is dependent on what version of FSx you are running RTM, SP1 or SP2 and what kind of core CPU you have. As far as I understand , RTM did not allow for dual cores - whereas SP1 and SP2 does.I couldn't understand why this fellow was talking about going back from SP2 to RTM. I asked him "what about SP1 - whose many improvements included multi core abilities. Couldn't get any reply form him to that. I seriously doubt that there are many out there running RTM - it was a dog!Barry

Well i just reinstalled FSX and runned tests on my AMDX2 6000+ with all versions. Tested them flying over cached Tileproxy scenery with detail radius set to large and FPS lock at 30. I got fastest tile loading with RTM (160 Kts without blurries) while SP1 and SP2 were unplayable (100 Kts with blurries all around). Then, after entering AffinityMask tweak to ini, i got faster tile loading but still with few blurries at 100 Kts. Then i dropped FPS lock to 20 to get rid of blurries at least when flying around 100 Kts. Thing is that in both SP1 and SP2 i can set all sliders much higher than in RTM with default terrain, but since there is no autogen with Tileproxy primary thing that FSX engine should be doing is to update Tileproxy generated tiles as fast as possible and RTM does it much faster than SP1 or SP2 on my machine. It's mentioned why it might be like that in this article, because of different way RTM renders scenery compared to SP1 and SP2 (sequential vs parallel file access):http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2008...vice-packs.aspxHope i made sense:) .

In a nutshell, that link seems to be saying to me that RTM has slow performance for "normal" sim operations - but faster for texture presentation. SP1 and 2 on the other hand have better performance - but are slower in laying texture tiles.I use SP1 - as I had some graphics problems with SP2. Lately I have been flying helos in TP at around 80 knots - with FPS set to 20. I have been getting really good results - EXCEPT that sometimes, I believe the map provider is slower than on other days. Downloading the textures is not happening - and I am really more suspicious of the map provider than the Sim itself.Barry

>[JOBSCHEDULER]>AffinityMask=0001I can't confirm that. This did help some time ago, before the preloading mechanism was aware of multiple cores (and I think I have written about it, too). But even then, a better solution was to simply disable preloading. FSX itself, however, has never performed better with all but the first core turned off for me, no matter what version. If something like that happens, it would suggest to me something is seriously wrong with that particular system.What's interesting about this article is that Phil Taylor seems to suggest TileProxy should use the FSX approach to scenery authoring. Too bad that isn't really an option, because they somehow forgot to document the inner workings of that BGL subformat.