Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonthedoors

Problem with the avionics

I got the iFly 747-400 a while back, and I've started getting back into heavies, but I was wondering:What's with the avionics on this thing? The first few times I've started this baby up, the avionics have come on, and I've been able to make a nice flight in this rather good (but my god, sensitive) aircraft. 99% of the time the avionics don't come on at all, so there's no PFD and no MFD readings. The FMC also won't function properly.The only way to get around this is to select the start-up mode to "NORMAL" on the FMC, but I'm a fan of the full start up procedures, so this obviously lacks depth and isn't very immersive at all.Is this panel full of bugs, or is there something I'm supposed to do? I'm following everything the manual says and nothing happens.I have installed all the service packs aswell, just so you know.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,>What's with the avionics on this thing? I haven't seen any problems, other than extreme sensitivityto the order in which startup is done. I always do a cold +dark start.>99% of the time the avionics don't come on at all, so there's>no PFD and no MFD readings. The FMC also won't function>properly.This is the issue, although reversed. If the FMC is notprogrammed properly and in the correct order as specifiedby the developers, you will not get the glass displaysworking.>Is this panel full of bugs, or is there something I'm supposed>to do? I'm following everything the manual says and nothing>happens.OK, a few questions to get started:1) on cold&dark, are you following every step, in order, on *their* checklists? It's not the same as the PMDG 747X startup.iFly C&D is extremely sensitive to the order in which stepsare done. I learned how to do C&D on the iFly, and the experiencetransferred well over to the PMDG. The only differences that cometo mind this early is that iFly doesn't model the window heat,wipers, storm, and bright/dim switches.2) Does the FMC not come on at all? Have you re-installed iFly?Be sure to completely remove (or rename) everything the iFlyinstaller leaves behind (rename the iFly folder "iFly.1", e.g).Then check the registry for any leftovers (I think the path isHKLMSoftwareiFly....) and remove them. Always back up theregistry first and set a restore point, too. 3) Have you downloaded and installed the latest nav database fromplanepath.com? Check the info on the "IDENT" page.4) The iFly FMC input route and MSFS Flight Planner routemust not disagree, IME. If you are just transferring MS Flight Planner files into iFly, be sure to use "convertpln" by Ingo Stoeckel (in FSX misc files section of the library).The iFly FMC will add legs to the route that MSFS is not awareof ... when I don't double-check I usually wind up in trouble(ascending during landing, heading off on the wrong course).5) although the steps are slightly different, I highly recommendthe PMDG Type Rating Course, first lesson, on startup. All thelessons are well written and explain a whole lot more than theiFly manual does. If you have the PMDG 747 manual, use chapter12 to deal with the iFly FMC. You can only get the manual ifyou buy the airplane, but the Type Rating Courses are free(Thanks, PMDG!) in the Downloads area. 6) My most common cause of problems with iFly is skipping stepsin their checklists, or rather, skipping ahead.7) There is one condition where you can do everything rightand still end up with blank flight displays. I don't rememberthe solution off the top of my head, but search the entireFSX forum (from the top) with "ifly" to find the thread. Wehad a discussion going elsewhere and then Tom created thissub-forum. I couldn't figure out how to transfer thosethreads over here.8) Make sure you are only using the FSUIPC4.zip that comes withthe iFly, and pay close attention to version numbers.Hope some of this helps,dan

You need to first align the IRS from a cold and dark start before you get a PDF and ND display. Without alignment, you also won't get V-speeds in the FMCRegardsTrevor