Sign in to follow this  
css2005

Engaging Autopilot on Takeoff

Hi,First off just wanted to say thank you for making FS2Crew available at the same time the MD11 was released. They are an awesome combo! I have been through several flights and ran into a small issue which is probably something I'm doing wrong but I can't seem to figure it out: Upon takeoff, the Red button does not seem to engage autoflight (autopilot) for some reason, I've tried to activate it on every flight at different altitutes ranging from 200 to 1000 feet after takeoff and it does not engage. The red button shows "AF" but doesn't seem to respond. The Green button seems to engage PROF correctly. I know the Red button is configured properly since it works for all other secondary functions. Is there anything that needs to be done to get that to work? I've been through the tutorial but must have missed something. Thanks!Craig

Guest paulc

Craig,I have the same problem, hope someone can tell us what we are doing wrong! other than that small problem, the program is GREAT!-PaulC

Hi,Autoflight (Autopilot On) is working for me; I usually turn it around around 100 feet after takeoff.In fact I just made a youtube video showing it in action.I'll have the link shortly.My guesses:1. Something could be intercepting the keypress FS2Crew is sending to the MD11 to engage the autopilot. Make sure no other windows that allow for text entry (ie., the Squawkbow text window) are in focus.2. Double check that your AutoFlight/Autopilot button matches the required FS2Crew (list is in the FS2Crew manual).3. There is a chance the the aircraft is not setup to accept an autopilot engage command (this could happen if the plane is out of the required envelope for the FMS/FCU is not set-properly).The test in this case is to try manually the autopilot on by clicking on the Autoflight button on the Flight Control Unit.Stand-by for that Youtube video...Cheers,Bryan

Guest paulc

Thanks Bryan, looking forward to that video!I could just click Auto Flight on the MD-11 panel and the auto pilot engages fine. I will look into those other issues you listed above.Thanks for a great program!PaulC

Hi Paul,Glad to hear you like it :-)Something must be intercepting the keypress FS2Crew sends, or the keypress is incorrectly assigned for the autopilot.Here's the YouTube video.It's hard to see, but in it I engage the autopilot at 100 feet.

Cheers,Bryan

Guest paulc

Nice Video, I will check my key bindings to see if there is a conflict. hey what do you use for the background atc?-PaulC

Guest paulc

Bryan,I tried another take-off. here is what happens.first I checked the key mapping and all is ok ie: Ctrl+Shift+1 is for AutoFlight and so on.On take-off I click the green button for thrust that works fine,once the co-pilot raises the gear the red button changes to "AF" nowwhen i click the red "AF" nothing happens it just flashes back to "AF".If i press Ctrl+Shift+1 the AP turns on fine. not sure whats going on.Also after when I select after take-off checks I dont hear anything, not sure if I am supposed to.Thanks for helping.

Hi Guys,The AF issue I am having occurs exactly as Paul described above. I also checked the FS2Crew mapping and it is mapped as indicated in the FS2Crew manual. The autoflight engages properly when I push the button in the cockpit. I wonder if it has something to do with the FS key mapping itself. I think autopilot is mapped to "Z" there which is the default. (I tried takeoffs both from VC view and outside view to see if it changes anything but it still does not engage with the red button for me).Thanks,Craig

Hmmmmm, these ones are tough because, as you can see in the video, it works for me.1. Are you guys running any other addons in the background?2. After Takeoff Checklist is read 'silently' by the FO. That's the way it's done at the company I modeled. The FO will announce After Takeoff Checklist 'complet'e once passing the Transition Altitude and having performed the Altimeter cross check.All the best,Bryan

I just looked at the code to refresh my memory.These are the important conditions for the Autoflight On call to work:1. FO takeoff must not be set to on on the Departure Brief page. Perhpas that's it. Takeoff must be set to Capt.2. Other possibility is that you're hitting the red button when the red button is not intended to be pressed, which could through the counter used for the Red Button off.To test my 'red button' theory, pls do this:1. Create a flight with you starting on the runway.2. Setup the FMC and autopilot.3. Set the flaps and to trim.4. Using the 'right arrow' on the FS2Crew Main Panel to cycle forward to the Takeoff mode.5. Perhaps the takeoff.Important thing is that you not use the 'red' button until you want to call for Autopilot (autopilot on).Let me know if you at least hear the Capt say "Autoflight" when you press the Red Button.Cheers,Bryan

Bryan, thanks for your suggestions. I have tried the takeoff with the setup as you mentioned but the AF button still does not respond.(however if I then press autoflight on the cockpit it does engage). The takeoff is set to captain in the departure brief.Regarding add-ons, there are no other programs running. Within FSX I have GEX textures, FEX textures, and MyTraffic installed. The PMDG MD11X is the only add-on plane I have installed. I also have FSX Acceleration installed, hopefully that is not causing a problem.Thanks,Craig

Guest paulc

Hi Bryan,1. I have set the panel to "TAKEOFF ROLL - CA"2. Advanced throttles to 70% and pressed the green "AT" button3. Captain announces auto throttle clamp etc.4. Positive climb the FO calls "Gear Up"5. Now the panel reads "CLIMB AND CLEAN UP" and the red button is labeled "AF" 6. I press "AF" and nothing happens, no sound the CPT does NOT say "Autoflight"7. I press the green "PN" and the CPT says "Enage Profile and Navigation"So the autopilot is never turned on until i press Ctrl-Shift-1 or press "autofilght" on the MCP.One thing to note is, the CPT will announce "Autoflight" at the trans ion level (6000 feet) and the FO will set the Autoflight on.So... at 100 feet after gear up the red button does nothing, if I wait until the transition level of 6000 feet before turning the AP on the CPT will call of "Autoflight" and the FO will turn it on.Hope this helps!Maybe the solution is to delete the FSG.cfg and re-install fs2crew

Hi Paul and Craig,No need to delete the FSX.CFG and re-install. I doubt that would help.You're somehow putting FS2Crew into an unexpected situation that we didn't run into during testing.What airport are you doing these tests at and which runway?I'll try to reproduce it.Cheers,Bryan

Guest paulc

The flight I was using was the PMDG MD-11 Tutorial flight out of EGLL RWY 27L this was a saved situation flight with the engines running and ready for take-off.I did the exact same flight using the MD-11 Tutorial Flight engines off, and loaded the FS2Crew panel "FS2CREW_WARM_EXT_PWR" and started from that situation working through your quick start guide with no problems at all, every button and event played out perfect!Until my AP problem, so when i press the red button that sends a Ctrl-Shift-1 to the panel? it's weird the keyboard command works perfect, it's like the button just does not execute it.I am sure will find the problem, I have all your FS2Crew versions this is the first problem I have ever had.-PaulC