Sign in to follow this  
Wolfko

Aa Supersampling Causes Sytem Crash

Hi all,I have a problem with AA Supersampling.My SpecsWin XP Pro 32BitGPU nVidea 9600GT 512MbCPU Core 2 Duo E8400@ 3GhzPSU Corsair 650TXDDR2-RAM KIT 2048 MB, PC2-800 MHzSATA II Seagate Barracuda, 7200.11, 320GB, 16MB CacheThe only game I'm running on this system is FS2004. My problem now is:Whenever I turn on AA Supersampling or the combined mode between SS and Multisampling my sys crashes. This happened the first day I got the system after I turned on SS for the first time (4 months ago). BTW I

Have you tried CSAA? It provides one of the same benefits as SSAA, which is to reduce/eliminate jagged edges on alpha textures. An example for FS would be 2d scenery objects like trees and fences. Unfortunately however, it will not reduce texture aliasing, i.e. "shimmering". For this one needs to run high levels of high quality anisotropic filtering. All of this is achievable from NV's Control Panel. I posted this in the Forceware 180.48 driver thread:Conformant texture clamp: Use hardwareTexture filtering - negative LOD bias: ClampTexture filtering - quality: High quality (note: this will automatically disable the "brilinear" and aniso filtering optimization options [which is a good thing])Also choose CSAA 8xQ and see how you like it. Performance will be *significantly* higher than with SSAA, and IQ may be "close enough" to your liking. If that doesn't look quite good enough, try 16xQ. Note: CSAA does not work in all 3d applications and I've not tested it with FSX so this may not be an option for you, but it's worth trying!

Max,Thanks a lot for your reply and your tips!I have already used - 16xQ CSAA- Texture filtering - negative LOD bias: Clamp- Texture filtering - quality: High quality - 16 x AF(I'm not sure about "Conformant texture clamp: Use hardware" though, as this is only available for Open GL applications when using nHancer!?All this, eliminates, as you say, flickering on fences, trees etc., but unfortunately not the shimmering and flickering of some add on airport sceneries such as Mega Airport Frankfurt 2005, German Airports, Fly Tampa's Boston Logan... I can even set mip mapping to 0 without causing any effect on these airports. I think this is because they were desingned without using mipmaps.When using TrackIr avery little movement of my head even increases the flickering which can really be annoying. I think I'll give th 180.48 drivers a chance now, because in this other thread it is emntioned that that they will reduce shimmering. In the meantime i fear that supersampling causes such a high workload on my GPU that it overheats which causes the crashes?Cheers,Wolfgang

In the meantime i fear that supersampling causes such a high workload on my GPU that it overheats which causes the crashes?Cheers,Wolfgang
Wolfgang,this is my supposition. SSAA doubles, quadruples, or even octuples the fillrate *and* bandwidth requirements for your card (depending on the sample rate chosen e.g. 2x, 4x, 8x SSAA). A GTX 280 (perhaps two, or even three) would take care of that though :( Of course I don't recommend you spend that kind of money just to enable one feature, but if it's that important to you I wouldn't fault you for doing so.Regards,Max

Guest UlfB
...A couple of days ago I have changed the display drivers from 171.16 to 174.16 (which are specifically designed for the 9600GT) but without success....
Wolfgang,The latest drivers (specifically designed for most nVIDIA cards) are 180.48. I'd recommend you to try these drivers out and to make sure that you also have the latest DX9 drivers installed in XP.

Wolfgang,this is my supposition. SSAA doubles, quadruples, or even octuples the fillrate *and* bandwidth requirements for your card (depending on the sample rate chosen e.g. 2x, 4x, 8x SSAA). A GTX 280 (perhaps two, or even three) would take care of that though :( Of course I don't recommend you spend that kind of money just to enable one feature, but if it's that important to you I wouldn't fault you for doing so.Regards,Max
Max,However, what I think is strange for overheating is, that I get excellent performance of approx 30 fps while taxiing at a very detailed airport like Mega Airport Frankfurt in the VC of a complex aircraft like the LDS 767 using TrackIR, all sliders maxed, 100 % Traffic, complex weather right until the crash. I would think, that there would be a drop in FPS or the appearance of artefacts when a GPU had to struggle with high filerate and bandwith before it crashes because of overheating (similar like an overheated Pentium CPU never causes a system crash when overheating, but only slows down until it has reached normal temperature again.). There are no artefacts like I once had them with an overheating ATI card. Also I can reboot the system right after the crash and start FS9 just a couple of minutes after the crash again with no issues. Would a graphics card cool down that quick? Cheers Wolfgang

Wolfgang,The latest drivers (specifically designed for most nVIDIA cards) are 180.48. I'd recommend you to try these drivers out and to make sure that you also have the latest DX9 drivers installed in XP.
Hi Ulf,I have the latest DX9 drivers and just installed the 180.48 drivers. At a first glance it really looks like those drivers will reduce shimmering and flickering. I have to do some more testing though.Cheers, Wolfgang