Sign in to follow this  
Guest meekal

Fsx Flight Plans?

Guest meekal

Hi,If this question has been asked before I apologize.I cannot seem to import flight plans created in the FSX Flight Planner. Is this because the format is different? I know that there are Flight Plans included that are common to the 747 and the MD-11 (they seem to come from the PMDG 737). However, if one wants to make their own, can this be done in Flight Planner and imported? I think I once got a message "Cannot Import Flight Plan" and gave up. Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks,Meekal

The MD11 is the only platform that will import MSFS flight plan files.Several 3d party flight planners are popular, I use FSBuild2 which exports both MSFS and PMDG files so I can put the MSFS pln file into ASX.The biggest drawback to the MSFS planner is it is based on antiquated navdata that is native to the simulator and there are no sids or stars. If you want any level of realism in your flight planning, then you will need to either program the flight plans manually (they can be saved and retrieved) in the FMS or purchase something like FSBuild. Personally, I like entering the flight plan myself and consider it as much a part of the flying experience as watching the autopilot fly the airplane.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest PPSFA
Hi,If this question has been asked before I apologize.I cannot seem to import flight plans created in the FSX Flight Planner. Is this because the format is different? I know that there are Flight Plans included that are common to the 747 and the MD-11 (they seem to come from the PMDG 737). However, if one wants to make their own, can this be done in Flight Planner and imported? I think I once got a message "Cannot Import Flight Plan" and gave up. Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks,Meekal
After you create your plan in FSX, Save it and rename it in this format.... for example KPBIKJFK. Then when programming the FMC, type that into the scratchpad, and enter it in the 'company route' line.

Guest meekal
After you create your plan in FSX, Save it and rename it in this format.... for example KPBIKJFK. Then when programming the FMC, type that into the scratchpad, and enter it in the 'company route' line.
OK, sounds great. Thanks very much.I am aware of the limitation of the default FSX nav. data-base which is static. While not true to life, I make my own SIDS/STARS. Quite a lot of fun especally when you draw a STAR with a downwind, base and final leg.Meekal

Meekal: I too make my own STARS and include routing from the arrival route to the approach. My procedures are limited to the US since I get the navdata from the FAA NACO web site.What part of the world are you creating sidstar procedures for? Terry Yingling provides sidstars for US-UK at planepath.com, Steve Bell supports the UK and I am doing the US locations. Have you looked at our procedures yet?

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest meekal

What do you mean by "our procedures?"I can make up a SID/STAR from an actual SID/STAR chart of which I have many -- collected over the years. They may not be current but they do fine. I would imagine there is a more "sophisticated" way of doing it but I find the much-maligned (!) FSX Flight Planner amazingly good with just about every navigation way-point available worldwide. If there isn't one, you can make one up in space and it will call it WP1, WP2 and so on.The Flight Plan thing on the MD-11 did not work. I made a Flight Plan in FSX Flight Planner from Lubbock to El Paso, a short flight. I added waypoints as I wanted to the "basic" FSX Plan, curving my way into ILS 22. I saved it as KLBBKELP as suggested. The FMC said "CAN NOT IMPORT F-PLAN". I think someone else above had the same problem.Please advise.Thanks,Meekal

Guest PPSFA
What do you mean by "our procedures?"I can make up a SID/STAR from an actual SID/STAR chart of which I have many -- collected over the years. They may not be current but they do fine. I would imagine there is a more "sophisticated" way of doing it but I find the much-maligned (!) FSX Flight Planner amazingly good with just about every navigation way-point available worldwide. If there isn't one, you can make one up in space and it will call it WP1, WP2 and so on.The Flight Plan thing on the MD-11 did not work. I made a Flight Plan in FSX Flight Planner from Lubbock to El Paso, a short flight. I added waypoints as I wanted to the "basic" FSX Plan, curving my way into ILS 22. I saved it as KLBBKELP as suggested. The FMC said "CAN NOT IMPORT F-PLAN". I think someone else above had the same problem.Please advise.Thanks,Meekal
I haven't tried it after adding custom waypoints, only using the default options, 'IFR-High Alt' usually. If you add a custom waypoint that isn't in the FMC database, I have a suspicion it wont load, maybe someone else has tested this. My normal procedure is to load the FSX plan, then when established enroute, check the metars for the active destination runway, check airnav.com for the appropiate approach, then load the IAF into the plan. I seldom use SIDS/STARS so I'm not much help with those.

Guest meekal
I haven't tried it after adding custom waypoints, only using the default options, 'IFR-High Alt' usually. If you add a custom waypoint that isn't in the FMC database, I have a suspicion it wont load, maybe someone else has tested this. My normal procedure is to load the FSX plan, then when established enroute, check the metars for the active destination runway, check airnav.com for the appropiate approach, then load the IAF into the plan. I seldom use SIDS/STARS so I'm not much help with those.
IFR-Hi Alt? Long and straight and boring! The GPS option is worse!On my last flight overseas, we flew in a straight line for 3,200 miles, except for one small 10 degree turn over Georgia! Even the NAT out of KJFK to Europe is straight as an arrow!I much prefer the LO-Alt IFR with a lot of turning and waypoints.Besides I keep the sector short so I get a lot of practice TO's and Landings. I don't see much point in doing LAX-LHR, or what I did recently in real life, DOH-IAD in 14 hours 47 minutes!! No plan to re-create that flight anytime soon! Just a matter of preference, I guess.Meekal