Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hello community,I've been simming for a few years; built a home cockpit, started a virtual airline, etc ...FINALLY, I've decided to upgrad to a "real" computer. I would like your feedback as to how well this new PC will handle FSX ...

• Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3GHz 6MB Cache 1333MHz FSB Processor4GB Dual Channel DDR3 MemoryNVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI Motherboard1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 Graphics Card

BTW - I mainly fly casual scenic flights in GA aircraft and would like it to look "as real as possible". Any suggestions on what to tweak or which sliders to peg at maximum versus which ones to keep at a lower setting?Thanks ...

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello community,I've been simming for a few years; built a home cockpit, started a virtual airline, etc ...FINALLY, I've decided to upgrad to a "real" computer. I would like your feedback as to how well this new PC will handle FSX ...
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3GHz 6MB Cache 1333MHz FSB Processor4GB Dual Channel DDR3 MemoryNVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI Motherboard1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 Graphics Card

BTW - I mainly fly casual scenic flights in GA aircraft and would like it to look "as real as possible". Any suggestions on what to tweak or which sliders to peg at maximum versus which ones to keep at a lower setting?Thanks ...

Nice looking system but I would highly recommend the 64 bit version of Vista. You'll probably run into memory problems with the 32 bit OS since your video card will take up a huge amount of memory address space. It's hard to judge what tweaks or where your sliders should be placed but I would first go with the default settings Microsoft sets up when you first startup FSX and slowly move the scenery sliders to the right but never max out all of them. You'll still get great graphics and FSX will run smoother. Have fun with your new system!Jim

I suggest you change the mobo to a P45/X48 board. Nvidia chipsets are quite poor performers compared to their competitors, and have far more stability issues. They run incredibly hot and deliver very poor bandwidth results under multi-threaded testing environments. The *only* reason to buy an NV mobo is if you absolutely must have SLI, and even then I'd say go with an X58 board and still avoid the NV chipset.

I suggest you change the mobo to a P45/X48 board. Nvidia chipsets are quite poor performers compared to their competitors, and have far more stability issues. They run incredibly hot and deliver very poor bandwidth results under multi-threaded testing environments. The *only* reason to buy an NV mobo is if you absolutely must have SLI, and even then I'd say go with an X58 board and still avoid the NV chipset.
Being a first hand user of the 790i ultra since day 1 of release I will have to, rather grudgingly, agree with Max that you will probably be better off with an intel chipset. Thing is that the 790i ultra was a pretty "revolutionary" board when it first came out which means that some of its features (like voltage control for example) could have been a bit more err, refined. Furthermore to get the most out of this board in terms of oveclocking one has to have patience and a pretty solid knowledge of what you are doing so the 790i ultra is NOT, I repeat NOT, for novice overclockers/users. On the other hand, at stock everything, the 790i ultra remains one of the fastest LGA775 motherboards around in most scenarios.Just be aware that you will NOT be able to use 2 Nvidia GPU's in SLI mode on a pre-X58 intel chipset, which support ATI Crossfire only. A single Nvidia card will obviosuly run just fine on a pre-X58 chipset. The 790i will allow up to 3 Nvidia GPU's.If you do go with the 790i ultra keep the following in mind:1. Do not go for the newer FTW variant (Digital or otherwise). Stick with the original 790i ultra, preferably from EVGA who have good tech forum support and RMA options.2. Make sure the board you buy has at least P06 BIOS version. P07 being the very latest.Having said all this I would seriously look going the Core i7/X58 route if I were you, seeing as you are buying all this new hardware now anyway. Core i7 940, 6 GB Triple Channel DDR3, preferably all on Vista 64 bit.Finally, if you are a heavy user of plug in peripherals (like home built cockpits etc) and all the associated software please just very carefully check that it will all work on Vista 64 bit BEFORE you move across.Hope this helps.Konrad