Sign in to follow this  
drdickie

Md-11 Flightplan Problems: Kbos-bikf

Guest j-mo

Hello. I've been following this thread and got curious, so I flew the route in 747X (I also have FSG installed). FWIW, I had no problems TAFFY to STEAM (FL370). I did experience a little "wiggle" past STEAM, probably due to my 150kt tailwind (which gave me a nice 635kt groundspeed) shifting to a 50kt quartering headwind. Still, the 747 kept track.Interestingly, I experienced a track deviation during descent, about 135 nm out from BIKF. Aircraft banked sharply to the right ("bank warning") and turned about 80 degrees off course. Descent rate was 1250 fpm, and the ND showed I was about 800 feet above descent path. even though I was at least 20nm away from TOD. Winds were shifting, but nothing major.Sorry, I don't have ideas for what causes might be. Just thought I'd share my experience on this route.Regards,

Thanks Alex, your experience on descent matches mine. The more I play with this the more convinced I am that the problem is the MSFS wx engine.I increased FSUIPC smoothing to 1kt/deg per 8 seconds and still witnessed significant IAS drops approaching Icelandic airspace even though the windshift did not "look" significant. I think the effects of having a poor dynamic model is magnified by the magnitude of the winds that are now occuring, in excess of 145 kts. Yeah, don't see groundspeeds above 620 very often.I remember someone saying their settings were 1kt/deg per 10 seconds. I might give that a try.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest j-mo
I remember someone saying their settings were 1kt/deg per 10 seconds. I might give that a try.
That is the setting I use.Regards,

More data on this one.I uninstalled all of the Navigraph 0812 AIRAC from the PMDG folder in FSX, and then installed Navigraph 0811. The same events occurred. Around TAFFY, I lost the magenta flight track between PQI-TAFFY, PROF seemed to quit, and I lost the ability to control the MD-11. All waypoints, etc., remained in the computer flightplan. In fact, the line from TAFFY to steam was showing. It kept flying but it seemed to be in a very wide circle to the left. Again, I was flying under "clear" conditions with no wind or weather.The only major thing I have not tried so far is reinstalling the MD-11. Maybe there is some sort of corruption in the flight computer? Anyone think that would help? Please don't suggest reinstalling FSX!!!Thanks for all the comments so far!

Dick Parker in Northeast Ohio USA

Windows 10 64-bit | Nvidia GTX 1080 | ORBX | P3D 4.4.16.27077

That is the setting I use.Regards,
I've had success with 1 kt/degree every 2 seconds. It's slow enough to prevent the horrible shifts while still feeling "responsive" I guess, as far as fake wind can feel responsive :)One thing to watch - keep an eye on the barometric pressure and/or the OAT. If that is shifting excessively, you'll get strange aircraft behavior including death rolls and rapid descents. You can keep an eye on OAT with EICAS (well, TAT at least) and for barometric pressure just see if your aircraft altimeter shows big jumps.-stefan

<<The only major thing I have not tried so far is ..>>Did you try turning off addon scenery?

Dan Downs KCRP

I do not know much about scenery. I have FSGenesis installed. I went to the scenery library and disabled items called 0301, 0302, and 0401 that seem to correspond to the FSG scenery covering that part of the world. I got the same result when approaching TAFFY. Are there other items I should also disable?Thanks.

I haven't had FSGenesis since my last system crashed with everything on board lost. I do recall they have excellent support and a forum, may a few minutes there to see if anyone else has similar problem?? I doubt that their stuff is the problem, since as I recall it is mostly landclass and mesh updates. I'd be more suspicious of any airport sceneries you added, or AFCADs maybe.

Dan Downs KCRP

No AFCADS, no airports.I did try another route that ICE630 flies with a similar result approaching EBONY. That route is:KBOS-PSM-EBONY-N135B-REDBY-CARPE-5550N-6040N-6330N-EMBLA-BIKFSo maybe there is something wrong with my scenery because I cannot get a successful flight through that area. However, recall that I did fly the LDS-767 successfully. Is there any reason one sim might interact with the scenery differently from another, such as PMDG -vs- LDS?I guess I will try to reinstall the MD-11, and failing that, FSX. I have been getting a few of those "FSX has to quit now" errors recently.Thanks for your interest, Dan, and all the rest, too.

Guest j-mo
I did try another route that ICE630 flies with a similar result approaching EBONY. That route is:KBOS-PSM-EBONY-N135B-REDBY-CARPE-5550N-6040N-6330N-EMBLA-BIKF
Hello again. I flew that route in the 747X and had zero problems. I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear, though.Regards,

After installing a fresh copy of FSX, FSX SP1, and the MD-11, the problem apparently has been solved. Flew the route without a hitch. I have not reinstalled my other FSX aircraft or scenery mesh yet. Also, the AIRAC installed with the MD-11 is 0808 -- I have not tried 0812 yet.But, questions still remain. If the source was corrupted scenery around TAFFY, why did the LDS-767 not experience the same thing. Do the different flight computers interact with FSX in a different manner?Thanks for everyone's comments, and for flying the route. I hated to go through the uninstall/install process, but it kind of boiled down to that.