Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bubi42

I Am An Air Traffic Conroller 3

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.......... but I've read with a lot of interest the news report on the front page about this ATC sim (and followed the link).This really does look impressive but what worries me is the very Japanese accents on the sound files. Does anyone know if the communication sound files are necessary to gameplay or are they only there for effect? (Readable text also seems to be an option....?)Given the amazing looking graphics, I'd also be interested to discover the realistic minimum computer spec needed to make sure it doesn't run like a 'slide-show'.Any comments?Toni.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The Aviator magazine is scheduled to have a review of this program in its January issue. The reviewer, Chip Barber, will be giving a good display of the offerings of this software.

I just bought, and received, the program. It is extremely impressive, both in terms of the quality, the attention to detail, and the apparent learning curve.However, it seems TOO complex. There are six "stages," or exercises/scenarios, each of which you must completesatisfactorily before the simulation allows you to proceed to the next. The first was quite helpful, in that it forces youto get a feel for the simulation. However, the second is several times more complicated than the first, in that you have to manage ground, tower, approach, and departure control--all at the same time!! :( I understand that the game is popular, but I'm wondering if it is for genius savants only. I've only managed to getthrough a few minutes of the second "stage," before I either made an error (the game aborts if you make them) orI've simply been completely overwhelmed. As a veteran of BAO Tower, I thought that I'd be well prepared to handle it. WRONG!!I'm not giving up, however. Hopefully as more people (people a lot smarter than I :() get it and sink their teethinto it, I can get some tips. As of now, after spending a couple of hours with it, I've not even begun to scratch the surface.I highly recommend the product, though. Just be prepared for a HUGE learning curve.By the way, it runs like silk on my five year old, Pentium 4, 3.0GHz machine.

I just bought, and received, the program. It is extremely impressive, both in terms of the quality, the attention to detail, and the apparent learning curve.However, it seems TOO complex. There are six "stages," or exercises/scenarios, each of which you must completesatisfactorily before the simulation allows you to proceed to the next. The first was quite helpful, in that it forces youto get a feel for the simulation. However, the second is several times more complicated than the first, in that you have to manage ground, tower, approach, and departure control--all at the same time!! :( I understand that the game is popular, but I'm wondering if it is for genius savants only. I've only managed to getthrough a few minutes of the second "stage," before I either made an error (the game aborts if you make them) orI've simply been completely overwhelmed. As a veteran of BAO Tower, I thought that I'd be well prepared to handle it. WRONG!!I'm not giving up, however. Hopefully as more people (people a lot smarter than I :() get it and sink their teethinto it, I can get some tips. As of now, after spending a couple of hours with it, I've not even begun to scratch the surface.I highly recommend the product, though. Just be prepared for a HUGE learning curve.By the way, it runs like silk on my five year old, Pentium 4, 3.0GHz machine.
Thanks 'Tat'.How are you finding dealing with the accents/dialogue? Is the on-screen text sufficient or do you really need to hear the sound files to play the sim?Toni.

Thanks 'Tat'.How are you finding dealing with the accents/dialogue? Is the on-screen text sufficient or do you really need to hear the sound files to play the sim?Toni.
To my surprise, I've gotten pretty accustomed to the accents; actually they're kind of cool. They are not nearly as much of a challenge as the fact that when things get busy, you'll be bombarded with two or three requests at once, with pilots/controllers talking at the same time!! The on-screen text changes and scrolls pretty fast; if you intend to use it, it helps to be a speed reader!! :( After more time getting used to the program, I may figure out a way to get a better handle on that. Your perspective may be different, in that we're all wired differently (and you may have more of a knack for such stuff). From my experience so far, though, I've learned that paying attention to the strips is as important as either the sound files or the on-screen text. The program has incorporated an excellent intuitive color coding system re: the strips. By the color of the respective strip, and by an icon adjacent to to it, you can tell, amid the flood of transmissions 1) if the aircraft in question is talking to you 2) if your response to his/her request is due, and 3) if you HAVE to intervene or if you can defer an instruction and let the program automatically do it for you. The biggest challenge is dealing with the flood of input to your senses and sorting it out. :( In order of importance, I would rank 1) the strips, 2) the ground and air radar (another excellent and essential interface, though I wish the program provided for the display of both ground and air radars simultaneously) 3) the spoken dialogue (you'll get used to the accents pretty fast) 4) and the on screen text.Mind you, everything is happening at once. And you have to take care not to let an aircraft taxi into a parking spot that is occupied, to not have one cross a runway that another is landing on. Also, the program will count it as an error and abort if you queue airplanes at a runway (a minor disappointment in that that is not realistic and that it keeps you hopping all the more).In addition to that is the view out the window, which is also helpful. By the way, the eye candy is awesome