Sign in to follow this  
Guest Doug Moldenhauer

.air File Question Around Autopilot

I assume that ateral navigation modes cover all lateral modes, not just localiser, especially as there is a corresponding set of entries specifically for the glide slope.http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc...#mozTocId942782Is this helpful?
You are absolutely correct in your assumption....However, that is entirely beside the main point, which is that none of these entries has any relevance to a user flown aircraft..."PIDs are only used to aid in the handling of AI (computer) controlled aircraft."One can completely remove those entries from the aircraft.cfg file and it won't make a bit of difference. One can enter totally bogus values and it won't make a bit of difference......for a user flown aircraft... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

...However, that is entirely beside the main point, which is that none of these entries has any relevance to a user flown aircraft..."PIDs are only used to aid in the handling of AI (computer) controlled aircraft."
Except for the helicopter governor PID...which is also entirely beside the main point! :( Thought I'd mention it here just for completness...of PIDs. Perhaps ACEs should have qualified that statement. Or perhaps I'm just being picky. :(

You are absolutely correct in your assumption....However, that is entirely beside the main point, which is that none of these entries has any relevance to a user flown aircraft..."PIDs are only used to aid in the handling of AI (computer) controlled aircraft."One can completely remove those entries from the aircraft.cfg file and it won't make a bit of difference. One can enter totally bogus values and it won't make a bit of difference......for a user flown aircraft... :)
The heading at the beginning of the the decription of the relevant section of the .air file reads:
The aircraft configuration file (aircraft.cfg) represents the highest level of organization within an aircraft container. Each aircraft has its own configuration file located in its container (aircraft folder)...[autopilot]The following parameters determine the functionality of the aircraft

The heading at the beginning of the the decription of the relevant section of the .air file reads:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc...#mozTocId942782Are you saying that Microsoft is incorrect in stating this in the ESP documentation?
Both of you are confusing .air files with .cfg files. In the .air file, the entries are used by AI aircraft only.In the .cfg file, the entries are used by user-flown aircraft only.So, since both of you are speaking of it 'interchangably'... you're both incorrect.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Both of you are confusing .air files with .cfg files. In the .air file, the entries are used by AI aircraft only.In the .cfg file, the entries are used by user-flown aircraft only.So, since both of you are speaking of it 'interchangably'... you're both incorrect.
Well, obviously I cannot "prove it," but having asked the nice folks at ACES to clairfy the question about a year ago, I was told that the autopilot PID controllers in both the .air and .cfg files were exclusively for AI aircraft...I'll pose the question again and ask for a public response this time......perhaps in the ESP Devoloper's forum:http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/ESP/threads/Of course no answer will be forthcoming until after Christmas holidays, perhaps not even until January. All MS's campus locations are totally shut down because of the snow...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well Bill, I know I can change the values in the aircraft.cfg file for the Citation X and see different behavior. I know if I change the values in the .air file... I see no difference in behavior.So... if the aircraft.cfg shouldn't affect it... then someone at ACES forgot to tell FS that. ;)

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Thanks. I look forward to Microsoft's response. Neither of us were confused. It was clear you quoted a section relating to the .air file: I quoted from the one relating to the .cfg file.

Guest Doug Moldenhauer
All the parameters mentioned above in the aircraft.cfg file are for approach only. They regulate the capture of the ILS and Glideslope. The items previously identified in the air file for AP control of specific gain functions no longer work in FS9/FSX. The best control is available by editing the aircraft.cfg file for the following:[autopilot]max_throttle_rate[TurbineEngineData]fuel_flow_gainstatic_thrustIt's VERY important that the many and complex engine settings in the air file be finely tuned. Best AP control over the engine(s) are obtained when the throttle/N2 ratio is correctly tuned to the engine power:1503, 1504The ratio of N2/N1 is correct:1502The total engine power for N1 is set for the range of Mach speed the engines produce:1506The inertia of the engine(s) are set to respond at the correct rate for the range of the engine power:1505 (note: this is NON-AFTERBURNING power)In addition, there is a global control over all the control input power response (ailerons, elevator, throttle) over the range of the aircraft's power:1525Hint: If you have trouble controlling the aircraft manually (this includes throttle/speed control) the AP/AT will have as much or more trouble than you.This is an indication the engine power and response curves are not set correctly for the expected performance limits of the aircraft.-Pv-
Thanks for all of that......good info for me :)