Sign in to follow this  
falk781

Ever See This Happen To Your Screen?

Hi to the group....I fly many multiplayer long haul flights and this is really annoying as it has happened twice, albeit a few weeks apart and there does not seem to be a pattern. Please see the picture to see if you can help me identify what's going on.2.4 Quad Core, GTX 8800The first time it happened, I had no tweaks, no real substantive changes to the settings in FSX. It was at night and it just occured. The second time it happened, it occured when I was switching from windowed mode onto my desktop. It only affects FSX, not the whole machine and there does not seem to be a pattern as to when it occurs.When it happens, there is no way to get it back. Usually, not in this case, you can only see the 2D panel, all of the menus are blanked out and every other view is switchable but is mixed up. Note that the second time, I had my Nvidia system tools running and all temperatures were normal.Any suggestions?

Scott Falkowitz

Core I7 965 - OCZ 6GB - Asus Rampage Extreme - 1000W - BFG 285 - Radiated Liquid Cooled - Twin 300 Raptors - Vista 64

Guest harleyman52

It looks like driver corruption or heat issues.......

Temperature on the GPU and CPU was inline with normal and it did it with a 16x.xx driver and the second time it happened, with a 18x.xx driver (the newest one.)

Scott Falkowitz

Core I7 965 - OCZ 6GB - Asus Rampage Extreme - 1000W - BFG 285 - Radiated Liquid Cooled - Twin 300 Raptors - Vista 64

Did you try a System Restore?Peter Sydney Australia
Not really sure what we would be restoring, once you restart FSX, its ok and again, there really isnt a patern to it.

Scott Falkowitz

Hi to the group....I fly many multiplayer long haul flights and this is really annoying as it has happened twice, albeit a few weeks apart and there does not seem to be a pattern. Please see the picture to see if you can help me identify what's going on.2.4 Quad Core, GTX 8800The first time it happened, I had no tweaks, no real substantive changes to the settings in FSX. It was at night and it just occured. The second time it happened, it occured when I was switching from windowed mode onto my desktop. It only affects FSX, not the whole machine and there does not seem to be a pattern as to when it occurs.When it happens, there is no way to get it back. Usually, not in this case, you can only see the 2D panel, all of the menus are blanked out and every other view is switchable but is mixed up. Note that the second time, I had my Nvidia system tools running and all temperatures were normal.Any suggestions?
This is exactly the sort of problem I and others have had with the PMDG MD-11 and 747X. But I have never seen the problem with the LevelD 767X (which I see you're using) - which is why I've always blamed PMDG's models.There was a lot of chat about this on the PMDG forums a while back but PMDG have remained silent. My own opinion (and I think the eventual consensus, but really just speculation) is that something about PMDG's models makes FSX place too large a memory call when swapping from non-windowed to windowed mode. It seems that the same problem can also happen, though less often, during the transition from daylight to dusk/night textures near complex cities/hubs. You can track this using a downloadable tool called Sysinternals - though I'm not sure I'd bother because if you're like the rest of us it won't actually help you find a solution.In your case, I suggest you identify and follow the best advice for squeezing maximum available RAM from your PC, if you haven't done so already. But you may well find that this makes no difference. If so, your best solution is likely to be to avoid swapping from non-windowed to windowed mode.I wonder whether these modern graphics cards with enormous on-board memory (my 8800 Ultra has 768MB or something like that; your 280GTX has 1GB, I believe) are creating unforeseen problems for memory-hungry applications like FSX especially when combined with demanding add-on aircraft. Do the high-end graphics cards perhaps need to reserve more memory address space than is comfortable?Tim

This is exactly the sort of problem I and others have had with the PMDG MD-11 and 747X. But I have never seen the problem with the LevelD 767X (which I see you're using) - which is why I've always blamed PMDG's models.There was a lot of chat about this on the PMDG forums a while back but PMDG have remained silent. My own opinion (and I think the eventual consensus, but really just speculation) is that something about PMDG's models makes FSX place too large a memory call when swapping from non-windowed to windowed mode. It seems that the same problem can also happen, though less often, during the transition from daylight to dusk/night textures near complex cities/hubs. You can track this using a downloadable tool called Sysinternals - though I'm not sure I'd bother because if you're like the rest of us it won't actually help you find a solution.In your case, I suggest you identify and follow the best advice for squeezing maximum available RAM from your PC, if you haven't done so already. But you may well find that this makes no difference. If so, your best solution is likely to be to avoid swapping from non-windowed to windowed mode.I wonder whether these modern graphics cards with enormous on-board memory (my 8800 Ultra has 768MB or something like that; your 280GTX has 1GB, I believe) are creating unforeseen problems for memory-hungry applications like FSX especially when combined with demanding add-on aircraft. Do the high-end graphics cards perhaps need to reserve more memory address space than is comfortable?Tim
I hope we can generate a dialogue about this amongst the rest of us because its really frusterating. By the way, I have an 8800 GTX. Anyway, I've only ever seen this happen with the Level D, none of the defaults although we all know that the PMDG and 767 are create much more of a hit on the system. Even if it was a Level D problem, I highly doubt they will put any resources to fixing it at the moment since they are ears deep in the development of the "757." I brought up an issue of a crashing problem when you press a certain button on the overhead, which generated about 5 other people complaining about the same thing, and it seems as though the thread has gone dead.To clarify, this problem looks like someone ripped the picture up into triangular pieces and pasted it back down on the screen just anywhere. The other issue was that the menus were smudged blank and looked almost arabic. Did yours do this too?I tried everything, including going back and forth between views, windowed vs full screen, regenerated the scenery library... there is no way to bring it back from what I can tell.... Someone else has to have had this problem.

Scott Falkowitz