Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tarks

Computer Crashes Mid Flight.

Guest Tarks

FS9 occasionally crashes on me during a flight and I am stumped as to why. My computer setup is as follows.AMD Athlon XP 2500+2 gigs RamATI Sapphire Radeon X1600 Pro (512 MB)I understand that this setup is approx 3 years old but I think I should be able to run the game with all sliders full. Shouldn't I? With the exception of traffic. I usually only run at 50%.It's weird, at times I can go for weeks with no computer crashes and some days (like today) it crashes mid flight. So annoying! I have installed several fans to combat the AMD over heating thinking that was the problem.I am running Real Environment Pro and many AI's through PAI. Other than that no other software.If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Does it crash at a specific place, which is an indicator of a scenery problem?Does it crash with traffic set to zero, which if not would indicate an AI aircraft texture cause?

Peter Schluter

Guest o76o

have you checked the cpu and gpu heatsinks? Maybe its all full of dust. (You would be surprised how quickly dust accumulates in the heatsinks!)

Video drivers. and/or their configuration. I have same issue. from time to time. Then I fiddle with it, change drivers, reset resolution. It goes away for awhile, then somedays it does it 3 times in a row. I have nearly the same system. No you cannot run full sliders. Yesterday, bam. It just quit while on climb. STD. Twice on successive computer restarts and driver changes. So last night after the last driver adjustment, I let it sit all night with a plane on the runway. Right where I left it. NP. But I didn't load any textures. FS is funny about loading textures. Thats really the root of most issues here. Pauses, hesitations, FPS, stutters, ETC. So we shall see why I can sit on the tarmac for hours, but start flying and wham. STD.I have plenty of fans and the case was cleaned about 2 weeks ago. Heat not an issue in my case, but worthwhile to check. I had a MB fan go out on a computer once and you really don't know its gone until you look at it. I rarely used that computer for gaming and thats how I found it actually, start game, heat up and quite, but that is the whole computer. I feel confident your issue is FS related and not mobo related. But check your temps anyway, something may be marginal. You wont know until you put a temp measuring program on it while you are taxing the CPU. A second monitor is excellent for that.Good luck.

Guest blazingcessna
Video drivers. and/or their configuration. I have same issue. from time to time. Then I fiddle with it, change drivers, reset resolution. It goes away for awhile, then somedays it does it 3 times in a row. I have nearly the same system. No you cannot run full sliders. Yesterday, bam. It just quit while on climb. STD. Twice on successive computer restarts and driver changes. So last night after the last driver adjustment, I let it sit all night with a plane on the runway. Right where I left it. NP. But I didn't load any textures. FS is funny about loading textures. Thats really the root of most issues here. Pauses, hesitations, FPS, stutters, ETC. So we shall see why I can sit on the tarmac for hours, but start flying and wham. STD.I have plenty of fans and the case was cleaned about 2 weeks ago. Heat not an issue in my case, but worthwhile to check. I had a MB fan go out on a computer once and you really don't know its gone until you look at it. I rarely used that computer for gaming and thats how I found it actually, start game, heat up and quite, but that is the whole computer. I feel confident your issue is FS related and not mobo related. But check your temps anyway, something may be marginal. You wont know until you put a temp measuring program on it while you are taxing the CPU. A second monitor is excellent for that.Good luck.
Since you are running a x1600 I wold like to add that the vid card itself could be going bad. That was the case with my 7950. I had crashes everywhere. I could count on it to crash, usually at or close to ToD. After doing the "driver shuffle" for three weeks, I replace the card with a 9800GT and the crashes stopped.

Guest Tarks

I would like to thank everyone that has responded to my post. This site rocks. I haven't been home since i originally posted so I have not been able to put all your advise into action. I will try tonight. Cleaning is a great idea. I usually try to clean a few times a year but damn does time fly! I probably haven't cleaned out the computer in a year and a half. I'll try that 1st. I have a question for Kimchock. What is your setup on FS9? I get fairly good results with all the sliders maxed out and 50% traffic. I get approx 15fps in large airports and 30fps everywhere else. Good enough to enjoy the game...untill it crashes. lol. Also, you say you have the same computer as me. Can I ask what size your power supply is? I am thinking I may need a larger power supply. I have a 360 Watt supply. Thanks for all the help.

I would like to thank everyone that has responded to my post. This site rocks. I haven't been home since i originally posted so I have not been able to put all your advise into action. I will try tonight. Cleaning is a great idea. I usually try to clean a few times a year but damn does time fly! I probably haven't cleaned out the computer in a year and a half. I'll try that 1st. I have a question for Kimchock. What is your setup on FS9? I get fairly good results with all the sliders maxed out and 50% traffic. I get approx 15fps in large airports and 30fps everywhere else. Good enough to enjoy the game...untill it crashes. lol. Also, you say you have the same computer as me. Can I ask what size your power supply is? I am thinking I may need a larger power supply. I have a 360 Watt supply. Thanks for all the help.
We wont be able to compare much as I run two video cards and 4 monitors. I have to run my AI way down at 16%. I'd say my sliders are mid level. I run zero auto-gen. But can run texture size and terrain level max. I have to compromise a bit to run those 4 displays.But the computer specs are 3GB ram, AMD 3400 chip. 2 WD Raptors in Raid. (blazing fast response times) The 1600 card in AGP and a 1550 in the PCI slot. Currently running 7.11 drivers as that is the last drivers that work with my PCI card and FS. 500 watt power supply. Just watch the net for deals and buy at least a 500. I don't think a 500 will fix you but if you like simming, plan on at least 500. Mine is at least a 4 year old install of XP and FS. I had Nvidia's first then switched to ATI. I would not do that gain. Stick with Nvidia. IMHO. Yes, to each his own.The AI and the auto-gen are two huge FPS hits. And the AI setting is always subjective. To compare what the FPS hit is, you would have to have the EXACT same AI content running at the EXACT same time in the EXACT same location to make a real comparison. With no add on AI, its entirely possible to run AI maxed, but I have a tremendous amount of AI and I manually tweaked many airports. So I cannot ever run 100% AI even if I ran only one monitor.The whole FPS discussion is extremely subjective. There are NO two FS systems alike, I'd bet my whole months pay on that.Hope this gave you some insight but sorry as we cant really compare. :( And the poster regarding the card maybe being OTW out. Very possible. I'll still tie your issue to a video issue of some sort. If we could just keep our hands off the damn settings. LOLAdvice, keep eye out for 500PS, play with video drivers and settings(costs nothing) and keep eye out for good deal on new card. I watch all the time and buy to upgrade at each chance I get. New dual core for me after end of year.Good luck...