Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest jshyluk

Freeware Software Archive Utility - Opinions, Please

I came across a .RAR file, and I realized that in my last hard drive purge I must have deleted my freeware archive utility. Trouble is, I can't remember which one I was using at the time. I'm fairly sure it was not 7Zip, although that's what I plan to use to handle this .RAR file. I am wondering is there is a freeware (not payware with a free trial) archive application that is better than 7Zip? 7Zip is fine, it will do what I need it to, I am just wondering if anyone can point me to the other app I was using. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIMEDIT -- Never mind! I found my old app: TUGZip. Found it like two minutes after I posted this. If you want to weigh in on this subject anyway, be my guest - Jeff

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

JeffI used to run WINRAR for RAR files but I now use the pay verion of WINZIP 11 which opens just about everything. (Mind you the built in Windows (Vista) extractor is not bad and can extract most files)It was a great little program. :( RegardsPeterH

I'm working heavily with 7zip now with archived data at work. It's a very good compressor. There's that or TUGzip which you found.

I came across a free for a day a while ago for WinRAR, been using the "paid" version ever since. However, you can run it forever without paying for it. It has a small, quick nag screen that you can click "OK" and it's gone. I use it for ALL compressed files now.

I came across a .RAR file, and I realized that in my last hard drive purge I must have deleted my freeware archive utility. Trouble is, I can't remember which one I was using at the time. I'm fairly sure it was not 7Zip, although that's what I plan to use to handle this .RAR file. I am wondering is there is a freeware (not payware with a free trial) archive application that is better than 7Zip? 7Zip is fine, it will do what I need it to, I am just wondering if anyone can point me to the other app I was using. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIMEDIT -- Never mind! I found my old app: TUGZip. Found it like two minutes after I posted this. If you want to weigh in on this subject anyway, be my guest - Jeff