Sign in to follow this  
Egbert Drenth

New System. Need Advice

Hi all,I'm considering to replace my current system (AMD X2 5000+, 8800GT, 2GB) with a new one.With the zillions of parts available I need some advise :( The system is for FS9 (not FSX) and maybe later for FS11, although that may be a long time away.If possible I would like to keep running WinXP and not Vista.Here's what I came up with so far:- Intel i7 920- ASUS P6T Deluxe- 4GB of matching Corsair memory- ASUS GTX 280 / 1GB DDR3- 750W PSU- 2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200 ST3750330AS, 750GB, mirrored- A casing and some other stuff? As I keep running XP, does it matter I have 4GB installed? XP can only see 3Gb, but I guess it doesn't do any harm to install 4GB? Do I need a GTX280 or is a 9800GTX also sufficient for FS9?? Should I go for the i7 or for any other Intel processor?

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Guest JAS39

First of all, it doesn't matter if you use XP or vista-what matters is if the OS is 32-bit or 64-bit. The latter supports up to 128GB of memory, I believe, while the former only recognizes around 3.5GB (this is total system ram, including GPU ram and all the other stuff)second, I think the i7 is way toooooooo overpriced for FS9. If it was FSX, than it would have been reasonable. but consider:the Core 2 duo e8400 at newegg.com is about 180 dollars, compared to coire i7, the cheapest of which is around 284 dollars, or something like that. The mobo is also extremely expensive for i7-only x58 is supported at the moment.keep the 8800GT (unless its the 256mb version), it should be enough for FSX, let alone FS9. Remember that the FS engine is around 5 years old, and FS 2002, 2004, and FSX all share the same engine see below.....http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-...-X-SP2,785.htmlconclusion: keep your 8800gt, its a really good card, if the memory on it is atleast 512mb.

Guest bekfreak
First of all, it doesn't matter if you use XP or vista-what matters is if the OS is 32-bit or 64-bit. The latter supports up to 128GB of memory, I believe, while the former only recognizes around 3.5GB (this is total system ram, including GPU ram and all the other stuff)second, I think the i7 is way toooooooo overpriced for FS9. If it was FSX, than it would have been reasonable. but consider:the Core 2 duo e8400 at newegg.com is about 180 dollars, compared to coire i7, the cheapest of which is around 284 dollars, or something like that. The mobo is also extremely expensive for i7-only x58 is supported at the moment.keep the 8800GT (unless its the 256mb version), it should be enough for FSX, let alone FS9. Remember that the FS engine is around 5 years old, and FS 2002, 2004, and FSX all share the same engine see below.....http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-...-X-SP2,785.htmlconclusion: keep your 8800gt, its a really good card, if the memory on it is atleast 512mb.
Seeing we don't know the future of FS11 and if you want the computer to last longer then go for the i7. It's made for FSX from what I've read with other people who run with it. If you still want to run FS9 then that's fine too.

Seeing we don't know the future of FS11 and if you want the computer to last longer then go for the i7. It's made for FSX from what I've read with other people who run with it. If you still want to run FS9 then that's fine too.
Yeah, if FS11 came out today it would probably take about 2 years before you have decent enough hardware to fully appreciate it ... so if your goal is to future proof yourself then you might be setting yourself up for disappointment. Considering that fs9 is a single-threaded application there isn't much benefit to going with the Core i7, especially if this is the only version of simulator you intend fly. Unless you plan to upgrade to Fsx then you'll probably get better results from a faster Core 2 Duo and a good graphics card than going with the Core i7.

Hi all,Thanks for the remarks, all of them make sense.I certainly will not move to FSX, because of the huge investments I already made in FS9 (scenery, aircraft, etc).Don't want to do that all over again.Maybe it's enough to replace my mobo and processor only and wait for FS11 to assemble a completely new system.EDIT:In Holland the i720 cost about 255 euro's, an E8500 170 euro's so that's indeed a substantial difference

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Guest UlfB
....- 4GB of matching Corsair memory....
If you go for a i7 setup you should go for tripple memory sticks to enable tripple channel mode on the P6T mobo. Either 3x1GB or 3x2GB sticks. Make sure that the memory voltage is 1.65V or close to that. Older DD3 memory sticks with higher voltage might damage the CPU.

Stick with the i7 setup. A complete C2D build is not much less than an Core I7 build. Purchasing a C2D over an i7 at this time would be rather pointless.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Hi all,I'm considering to replace my current system (AMD X2 5000+, 8800GT, 2GB) with a new one.With the zillions of parts available I need some advise :( The system is for FS9 (not FSX) and maybe later for FS11, although that may be a long time away.If possible I would like to keep running WinXP and not Vista.Here's what I came up with so far:- Intel i7 920- ASUS P6T Deluxe- 4GB of matching Corsair memory- ASUS GTX 280 / 1GB DDR3- 750W PSU- 2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200 ST3750330AS, 750GB, mirrored- A casing and some other stuff? As I keep running XP, does it matter I have 4GB installed? XP can only see 3Gb, but I guess it doesn't do any harm to install 4GB? Do I need a GTX280 or is a 9800GTX also sufficient for FS9?? Should I go for the i7 or for any other Intel processor?
1. CPU is a good choice. The 940 really does not offer any value considering how well the 920 OC's.2. Your mobo choice is good. The Deluxe "Palm" version is gimmicky and serves o real purpose. 3. Stick with ram that is 1.65v or lower (Core i7 mobo voltage requirements). Run it in triple channel - 3GB, 6GB, 9GB (3x 2GB sticks + 3x 1GB sticks), 12GB, etc..4. Your videocard choice is good. If I remember correctly, the GTX 280 yields better performance than the 4870X2 (which I wouldn't buy anyways). Depending on your resolution you might want to ru SLI, though mine seems to be doing fine thus far. 5. You should look at a 1000w PSU. If you are running a single videocard than you may be "ok" with a 750w, if you decide to go SLI than 750w could be trouble. I would recommend the Corsair H1000 PSU. I have one and it is great. It is also modular so, for the most part, you only need the cables in your case that you are actually using.5. Hard drives - No comment. Buy whatever suits your requirements.6. Case - Take your pick, jkust make sure it is a full tower. Mid-towers can get cramped with large videocards. - Since you are running XP I would recommend moving to Vista 64-bit. If this is not an option, than I would purchase a 3x 1GB DDR3 1600 triple-channel pack. There is no sense in having more ram than that since XP will not recognize more than 3.25GB.- For FS9, a 9800 GTX should be just fine. FS9 flys (no pun intended) on my 8800 GTX I used to use). If you are buying a new videocard and can wait, you might want to wait for the tech refresh from Nvidia at the beginning of January (around the 9th). - For a complete new build, got with the i7. A new C2D build is somewhat pointless (and not much cheaper than an i7 build).Hope this helps!

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3