Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest RET_1935

Help Using Ultamit Defrag 2008 Freeware

Since hearing good things about UD 2008 I decided to download the free trial to see if I would see any improvments on my system but I don't really understand the options; and I think this is a simplified version :( Seems like there is about six menu choices Fragmented Files only, Consolidate, Folder/File Name, Recency, Volatility, and Auto and within those there are a few options like Respect high performance, respect archive, move to MFT. Can anyone give me some pointers on what I should be selecting? I'm running a 300GB Velociraptor in a FSX stand alone machine. I can provide more detail if needed. I'm just a little lost and the .pdf instructions seem to confuse me more. :( Thanks,Robert

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I use the full version of UD 2008Not sure what you mean by saying the freeware version. You either have the trial 2008 ver or the 1.72 older version.What you want to do is go to TOOLS->options:under High performance, select custom, then browse to your FSX/scenery folder and checkmark the box and then click the little arrows to drag the whole folder to the high perf listThen back to the main defrag screen, you want Folder/Filename, but before starting, be sure to check the blue options button and click "respect high perf" I personally also check "put dir's close to MFT"If this is your first defrag might want to give it overnight, mine took a few hours the first time.

Hello,I also use the "full" latest UD with success. What I have done the first time to run UD : I have declared ALL folders as "archive" so that the "outer" space of the disk is free. at 2nd run of UD I selected my "real" High performances folders (like FSX, some Windows ones, ...) and run UD again.Now the high performance folders are on the "outer" tracks

Well, I'm a little confused on the version now but it has the options you are talking about so I followed your advice. My only other question would be Is the sceenery folder the only thing you add to the high performance list do you recomend anything else? Being this is for the most part a stand alone FSX machine if I selected the operating system and the files relating to FSX I would be selecting 95% of whats on the hard disc to begin with.Thanks for the help!

A long time ago in a far away land I read that one really only needs to put the scenery files on the outer platters. However, putting the texture files might not hurt either...but it would take longer, there are a lot of them.

Well, I'm a little confused on the version now but it has the options you are talking about so I followed your advice. My only other question would be Is the sceenery folder the only thing you add to the high performance list do you recomend anything else? Being this is for the most part a stand alone FSX machine if I selected the operating system and the files relating to FSX I would be selecting 95% of whats on the hard disc to begin with.Thanks for the help!
Hello,My version is the 2.0.0.55.Of course you can go futher , for example in the Windows folder there are several less used folders or files ...., in FSX some folders are not that important .....BUT I decided to keep the managemement as simple as possible (KIS), so decided that the entire FSX folder to be the most outer follwed by the Windows folder.Otherwise it becomes to complicated... but it is possible in UD2008Hope it helps