Sign in to follow this  
NorthCentralBlue

Ctd On Start-up-help!

Help! I'm starting to lose it. I'm getting a CTD on starting up FS2004 like I've never seen before. I get the splash screen and then after a shorter wait than normal the FS2004 tool bar across the top of the screen appears (doubled-one tool bar over another tool bar) briefly before the default flight starts to load with the status bar showing "loading scenery objects" before the CTD happens and FS2004 is simply gone with nothing more occurring. I've had CTDs before and have always been able to trouble shoot them by tracing back to any recent changes/additions/deletions I have made. I've tried everything with this one including Microsoft's troubleshooting steps at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837195. Nothing is working. I did have an OOM in the New York area prior to this and I also seemed to lose 9-10 gigs of my hard drive after doing the FS9.1 update so I could start using FSDream Team's KJFK scenery. I've been unable to figure out what happened with the hard drive. I do have an older system but I have not had any problems with it. Here's my specs:Pentium 4 2.66 GHz CPU1.50 GB RAMAMD X1650 512MB graphics cardMaxtor 40 GB Hard drive Western Digital 160 GB External Hard driveI plan on upgrading to a new computer in the spring so I've held off on investing in a new internal hard drive. NorthCentralBlue

Help! I'm starting to lose it. I'm getting a CTD on starting up FS2004 like I've never seen before. I get the splash screen and then after a shorter wait than normal the FS2004 tool bar across the top of the screen appears (doubled-one tool bar over another tool bar) briefly before the default flight starts to load with the status bar showing "loading scenery objects" before the CTD happens and FS2004 is simply gone with nothing more occurring. I've had CTDs before and have always been able to trouble shoot them by tracing back to any recent changes/additions/deletions I have made. I've tried everything with this one including Microsoft's troubleshooting steps at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837195. Nothing is working. I did have an OOM in the New York area prior to this and I also seemed to lose 9-10 gigs of my hard drive after doing the FS9.1 update so I could start using FSDream Team's KJFK scenery. I've been unable to figure out what happened with the hard drive. I do have an older system but I have not had any problems with it. Here's my specs:Pentium 4 2.66 GHz CPU1.50 GB RAMAMD X1650 512MB graphics cardMaxtor 40 GB Hard drive Western Digital 160 GB External Hard driveI plan on upgrading to a new computer in the spring so I've held off on investing in a new internal hard drive. NorthCentralBlue
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------The ONLY CTD I have ever had with 2004 is when I went from FSUIPC v3.8 to the latest, v3.85 After I went back to v 3.8, no further CTD's. If you by chance DID upgrade to the latest...try going back to v3.8 and see if that eliminates your CTD woes.Mitch

Guest FengZ

you mentioned that the CTD happens during scenery load? If so, at what percent? It'll help to know...If the sim simply "poofs" without an error message, then it's a share violation or missing resource. A few things can cause this:- Did you change your clouds to DXT3 but didn't check render to texture in the options menu?- Did you install/uninstall some scenery. Missing textures will cause FS9 to CTD w/out warning (and happens on scenery load at around 60%)you can always try and rename your FS9.CFG and have the sim make a new one. Because that'll reset all your settings back to default (can you do the same for Scenery.CFG (edit out all the non-default ones).-feng

you mentioned that the CTD happens during scenery load? If so, at what percent? It'll help to know...If the sim simply "poofs" without an error message, then it's a share violation or missing resource. A few things can cause this:- Did you change your clouds to DXT3 but didn't check render to texture in the options menu?- Did you install/uninstall some scenery. Missing textures will cause FS9 to CTD w/out warning (and happens on scenery load at around 60%)you can always try and rename your FS9.CFG and have the sim make a new one. Because that'll reset all your settings back to default (can you do the same for Scenery.CFG (edit out all the non-default ones).-feng
The scenery load never gets past 0 percent. No changes made to clouds and install/uninstall of scenery. I tried the rebuilding of my FS9.CFG and got the same CTD.

I'm wondering if it's possible my hard drive issues are leading to my CTD's at start up. I found out I had lost a bunch of space during a defragmentation that I went ahead with after being told there was less than the 15% of space needed to complete the task.

I traced my large loss of memory on my hard drive to a very large Dr Watson text file in the Documents and Settings folder. Not sure why the large file was created. Nothing at the time of it's creation a few weeks ago coincides with the date is was modified/created. After deleting it I have my hard drive space back and have done several defragmentations. Computer is running great and fast again. But FS2004 is doing the same CTD's at start up!!!! I'm about ready to give up! Can I try re-building my scenery CFG file like you can the FS9 CFG file? Would that maybe help?

I traced my large loss of memory on my hard drive to a very large Dr Watson text file in the Documents and Settings folder. Not sure why the large file was created. Nothing at the time of it's creation a few weeks ago coincides with the date is was modified/created. After deleting it I have my hard drive space back and have done several defragmentations. Computer is running great and fast again. But FS2004 is doing the same CTD's at start up!!!! I'm about ready to give up! Can I try re-building my scenery CFG file like you can the FS9 CFG file? Would that maybe help?
You haven't by any chance removed the default Cessna aircraft?Also I saw a post recently where somebody having CTD issues on starting FS9 found that if he clicked on the main FS9 application icon(little black dc3 I think) within your FS9 main folder he could start it that way.Got to try everything with CTDs.cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

I notice from your specs that your HD is only forty GB assuming you have got your FS9 installed on that drive then i wonder if the drive has enough free space(i am not a technical man,just trying to help.)MY fs9 installation must be around 30 to 40 GBs alone (maybe more)so you can see a forty GB hard drive would struggle.Anyway just a thought.Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

You haven't by any chance removed the default Cessna aircraft?Also I saw a post recently where somebody having CTD issues on starting FS9 found that if he clicked on the main FS9 application icon(little black dc3 I think) within your FS9 main folder he could start it that way.Got to try everything with CTDs.cheers Andy
I am nearly positive I did not delete the default Cessna but I will confirm that later tonight when I get home. Someone else suggested trying the icon within the main folder and that didn't change anything for me. I also tried starting up using another saved flight other than the default but that didn't do anything either. Thanks for both suggestions, I appreciate them. I am willing to look at anything at this point.Andy

I notice from your specs that your HD is only forty GB assuming you have got your FS9 installed on that drive then i wonder if the drive has enough free space(i am not a technical man,just trying to help.)MY fs9 installation must be around 30 to 40 GBs alone (maybe more)so you can see a forty GB hard drive would struggle.Anyway just a thought.Andy
My small 40 GB hard drive was the biggest mistake I made in our computer purchase 5 years ago. I have kept my FS9 installation compact as a result, especially with sceneries. It's at about 20GB right now. I keep any other large items not related to FS9 on my external drive. My free space on the internal HD is at about 11 GB and it's been that way for a long time (except for the odd Dr Watson file that popped up three weeks ago). FS9 has always functioned well with the set up with reasonable frame rates, even when flying PMDG/PSS paneled-aircraft. I won't make the mistake with the new computer when I make the purchase later this year!