Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Need Help With Ground2k4

This programme may be 'clever' but I always find it a nightmare to use. I wonder if someone can advise re. my latest mess?I have an area of terrain (near WSSS) where there are many buildings in the ocean. I get this even if I disable all my addon sceneries, reverting to the FS9 default sceneries. I find that if I remove a particular bgl file in scenery/asia/scenery (HL975130.bgl) the water where the buildings are becomes land. Fine, but a bit further up the coast an area which should be water becomes land (with ships sat on it) - so that's not the way to go.I should (shouldn't I?) be able to select the area of ocean where the buildings are and change it to land, using Ground2K4. I have got my workspace OK with the map and it is saved as a lwm file. I then select Area Attributes (I can't change WC to LC using the LC icon I believe?). I get the Area Creation/Modification window. The left checkbox is ticked and I choose Land inFill1x1/LWM. Then I choose LOD13Land (or should I be choosing Poly??), then OK, and I get the purple grid on the map. Repeat as necessary till I have the area filled, then 'Save'. Then 'BGL generation' - but no bgl file is produced. Nothing happens. I tried, just for the hell of it, using the LC icon instead of Area Attributes. BGL Generation then gives me an LC*****.tmf file.Am I way off what I should be doing to get an area of ocean to go to land? Why is a bgl file not being generated? Hope someone can kindly advise!!Or is it possible to modify the original HL975130.bgl - I can get it to a text file (SCASM won't edit it) but after that, I am lost. On the edge of my competence here..Many thanks,Martin

In the Area Creation/Modification box, I see I have no lower section. "Textures (VTP1)", as in the screenshot in the manual (Ground2K4_US.doc). It's just blank. How do I choose the texture?When I choose 'Water' in the Fill1x1/LWM section, I do get a bgl file generated, but there is no difference in FS9... Is this really as hard a programme to make work as I have the impression??M.

Hello Martin,It is not particularly difficult to use Ground2K4, but it is important to understand the concepts first.Perhaps I am confused, though, since from what I understand, you are trying to change terrain in order to remove some Generic Buildings. This cannot be done that way, and you could simply make a BGLComp exclusion for them (or use Jim Keir's LWMViewer2 to move them onto land.)Could you please first show a screenshot of the problem buildings with their exact coordinates? That would help a lot.Best regards.Luis

Hi again Luis,No, I didn't explain too well perhaps. There was a line of buildings just off the coast. Rather than remove the buildings (which looked good) I wanted to extend the shoreline out a bit to encompass them.I managed to get Ground2K4 to draw a new coastline, but it was too far out, leaving a long strip of water just inside the coast boundary. I tried following the instructions to create a new polygon to fill that in with land, but it just didn't work. It's really difficult to explain here - if you were able to see over my shoulder what I was doing I dare say that you'd be able to advise immediately!In the end though, Ground2K4 wasn't necessary: I found that the HP975130.bgl file that governs this scenery was not (for reasons I cannot work out) the default FS9 file, but a later replacement. I keep all my scenery installation zip files, but cannot locate one with that file in it, so I have no idea where it came from. No matter, replacing it with the default bgl file solved the problem - the buildings are now on dry land.I'd still like to know why I get no bgl file when I click on the 'generate bgl', but I'd have to go back and note down exactly what I am doing. I appreciate your trying to help me (as several times in the past) and don't want to waste your time Luis, so, as this scenery is now OK, I'll leave this for now and post again next time I use Ground2K4 and get into difficulties. I suspect you are right that there are some areas that I just do not understand well enough, which is why I get less than 100% results (though sometimes I get things to work - like getting rid of odd squares of land in the sea - so it's not always fruitless work),Regards,Martin