Sign in to follow this  
Guest hefy_jefy

Direct X 9.a out again and good preformance increase!

Hi all.I still stand by my statement, and I still consider my perception of FPS increase subjective.My own particular reasons for upgrading from 8.1 stem from my installation of CFS3. CFS3 installs a version of DirectX8 that was defective. That game's installation forces an upgrade of Directx8 without notice or choice. Using a restore will render the game unplayable.That started my series of DirectX upgrades, which currently is at 9.0a. Oddly, I don't even like CFS3 much. It has occured to me that any one of these upgrades may have caused an FPS decline ( as was stated in an above post ), and if I now am "feeling" I have better framerates, perhaps this is simply a restoration of frame rendering speed from a previous "bad" version of DirectX. Or perhaps not. I do find it odd that one version could cause a decrease in framerates, and no versions could cause an increase. Microsoft must have a great team of programmers that can consistantly deliver newer versions of DirectX, and upgrades of these versions, and never improve their initial performance.Amazing.Dick

Guest PaulL01

>I do find it odd that one version could cause a decrease in >framerates, and no versions could cause an increase. Microsoft must >have a great team of programmers that can consistantly deliver >newer versions of DirectX, and upgrades of these versions, and >never improve their initial performance.>Amazing.>DickThey do Dick, just not where you are looking. Having said my good buys above I offer just one more bit, Dick, If you want a "real" performance upgrade spend real money and buy new software as well as better hardware that can use the new features that new DX languages use as >that:)Take care.

Guest hefy_jefy

My monitors will only handle 65Hz at 1280 x 1024, so I guess there is no point?Or am I missing something here...I have never downloaded anything that made ANY difference to framerates, you get what the hardware is capable of and that's it.Anyway I'm not sure if could detect for example the difference between 25fps and 30fps (without the Z thing)Geoff

Nope none of that either. Although that does improve image quality I can live without it. Here's my Sai Marchetti at Emma Field @ 1600x1200 32 bit. Same settings and this is very flyable frame rates.Best Wishes, Randy J. Smith[h5]San Jose Ca[/h5][h3]" A little learning is a dangerous thing"[/h3]AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF3 64 MEG |WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"

Here are the shots showing my increase. The second one shows 100 FPS in a climb. I am running at 1280x1024 32 bit. My GF3 drivers are the latest 43.45 Det drv. Of course this is the defualt aircraft but I still never seen anything that high before and with everything at max except shadows and vis distance @ 60 miles, it's pretty good IMO.Best Wishes, Randy J. Smith[h5]San Jose Ca[/h5][h3]" A little learning is a dangerous thing"[/h3]AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF3 64 MEG |WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"