Sign in to follow this  
Guest PilotBrad

Ch Yoke Pov Pan Direction On Fsx?

Guest PilotBrad

Good day,I recently purchased a CH Products USB Yoke, and when in the Virtual Cockpit view (of any A/C) I feel like the direction of the hat switch when panning (looking) around is opposite of what I think it should be with regards to the up/down direction.For example, if I want to look down I must pull the POV hat switch back (towards) myself, and if I want to look up I must push it forward (away). I feel like it should be the opposite, push (away) for down, pull (towards) for up.The yoke works fine, and is calibrated correctly with all buttons functioning as expected. For all other views the POV works as I would expect it to.Q: Does anyone know a way to swap the up/down direction of the pan view when using the Hat Switch in Virtual Cockpit?TIA!

if I want to look down I must pull the POV hat switch back (towards) myself, and if I want to look up I must push it forward (away). I feel like it should be the opposite, push (away) for down, pull (towards) for up.The yoke works fine, and is calibrated correctly with all buttons functioning as expected. For all other views the POV works as I would expect it to.Q: Does anyone know a way to swap the up/down direction of the pan view when using the Hat Switch in Virtual Cockpit?
If the hat switch is pushed right to look right and left to look left, why shouldn't it be pushed up to look up and pushed down to look down? That's the way it is and can only be changed by rewiring the the switch (?), but I'm like you in that I tend to push it the wrong way for up and down, probably due to being used to the opposite for elevator trim.

Art

Guest PilotBrad
If the hat switch is pushed right to look right and left to look left, why shouldn't it be pushed up to look up and pushed down to look down?
Let me answer it this way... If you physically look down, which way do you move your head? Most people tilt it forward, and that's how the that switch should operate IMHO. You are right, it seems counter intuitive when compared to trim.

Q: Does anyone know a way to swap the up/down direction of the pan view when using the Hat Switch in Virtual Cockpit?If this bothers you enough to open the yoke enclosure you can swap a couple wires going from the yoke tube to the USB circuit board. Because the switches are multiplexed to reduce wiring complexity this will also swap around four other switches in the yoke handle. You would have to reprogram these switches to return your original functions. First lets agree on the switch ID numbers. left handle: 1-front button; 2-top forward button; 3-rear button; 4-forward rocker; 5-rear rockerright handle: 6-front button; 7-left rocker; 8-right rockerTo modify the wiring open the yoke case by removing the 8 small phillips screws and then carefully separate the upper case from the lower. Unplug the wiring going to the throttle PCB and set aside the top. All remaining components are mounted in the lower half and should stay in place. Locate the wiring coming from the yoke tube which is plugged into the USB PCB. Locate the black and violet wires and cut them several inches back from the connector. Splice the violet wire to the black wire and the black wire to the violet wire. Reassemble the yoke housing. Insure that the pitch follow pot lever remains engaged into the yoke tube before setting the top back on and don't forget to plug the throttle connector back in. You should now have the desired POV action. Switches 1 and 7 and switches 2 and 4 will also swap. Good luck and please don't hold me responsible if you screw up your yoke. FYI I gained this knowledge in the course of interfacing an AVB Pegasus Force Feedback joystick to my CH yoke and had to interface the CH yoke wiring to the joysticks circuit board.

Let me answer it this way... If you physically look down, which way do you move your head? Most people tilt it forward, and that's how the that switch should operate IMHO. You are right, it seems counter intuitive when compared to trim.
How you use the hat switch to tilt your head depends on whether the hat switch represents your nose or the hair on the back of your head. In my case, there is no hair on the back of my head so the other option is all I have (pull down to look down and push up to look up). :( Art

Art

Guest PilotBrad

Thanks guys... I think I am just going to learn to live with it.I thought about rewiring the switch but then all the other views, which I think are correct, would then be reversed.I could also use the CH button manager software to do the same thing (reverse the switch digitially), but it would have the same effect, it would be reversed for EVERYTHING else as well.Sigh... oh well... I tried.