Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Question About Cpu Usage

So I was doing some tests to try and figure out why I have bad stutters. Mainly I found it's when I have the autogen up too high (pretty much dense or greater).But what I did was load max autogen and watched the CPU utilization. Then I turned it down to what I am running now (normal autogen). I noticed that the CPU worked harder when it had less to display... isn't that bassackwards? In the first pic my FPS are decent but I'm getting massive variations, like 40-50% from the average (causing stutters). When I turned down autogen to normal the variations were under 10%, and I was almost stutter-free. Why does the CPU work this way? I'm really confused...lowCPUusage.jpghighCPUusage.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest Alphahawk3
So I was doing some tests to try and figure out why I have bad stutters. Mainly I found it's when I have the autogen up too high (pretty much dense or greater).But what I did was load max autogen and watched the CPU utilization. Then I turned it down to what I am running now (normal autogen). I noticed that the CPU worked harder when it had less to display... isn't that bassackwards? In the first pic my FPS are decent but I'm getting massive variations, like 40-50% from the average (causing stutters). When I turned down autogen to normal the variations were under 10%, and I was almost stutter-free. Why does the CPU work this way? I'm really confused...lowCPUusage.jpghighCPUusage.jpg
Good question...one I can't answer but I am sure NickN can if he happens to read this. I was reading something he wrote...and he writes a lot so I can't or may not be able to get it quiet right....but it had to do with autogen being set higher may give better performance than being set lower or it might use less CPU.....sounds bizarre but I tried it and the more I read about FSX the more amazed I become at how this program works. One can only hope the next version will work in what one may call a more orderly fashion. Regards

Well that's not what I'm getting here. The more autogen = less performance, because apparently the CPU is working less - which makes no sense to me.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Something else to consider... When I had my dual core, I had studders all the time with fps set to unlimited. Set at 24 or so seemed best. I just got a new quad and VC on Saturday, and am still trying to get everything to play nicely together, but stutters seem to be almost gone. Most sliders on full.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest JimBrown

I'm not an expert, but if I had to take a guess, I'd say that with more to display, the CPU does more waiting for the GPU. I'd be interested to see what the CPU utilization is with those two autogen settings with the framerate capped at 25....jim

But what I did was load max autogen and watched the CPU utilization. Then I turned it down to what I am running now (normal autogen). I noticed that the CPU worked harder when it had less to display... isn't that bassackwards? In the first pic my FPS are decent but I'm getting massive variations, like 40-50% from the average (causing stutters). When I turned down autogen to normal the variations were under 10%, and I was almost stutter-free. Why does the CPU work this way? I'm really confused...
Phil Taylor said that when you run frame locked, you free the cpu to do other tasks in the sim. That may be why.I'd be interested to see the results if you had the frame rate locked.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Nick_N
So I was doing some tests to try and figure out why I have bad stutters. Mainly I found it's when I have the autogen up too high (pretty much dense or greater).But what I did was load max autogen and watched the CPU utilization. Then I turned it down to what I am running now (normal autogen). I noticed that the CPU worked harder when it had less to display... isn't that bassackwards? In the first pic my FPS are decent but I'm getting massive variations, like 40-50% from the average (causing stutters). When I turned down autogen to normal the variations were under 10%, and I was almost stutter-free. Why does the CPU work this way? I'm really confused...
Priorities, Priorities, PrioritiesThe priority system is operating at all times and does not just kick in when the sim drops below a certain frame ratehttp://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041MSFS is crazy in how it addresses a system... if you learn how to tune it and use the config correctly, you will get the goodies out of it

Ok, same area (western MN), locked at 31 FPS, first extremely dense, then normal autogenxtremedense.jpgnormal.jpgLocking definitely got rid of the stutters....the FPS were a tad lower, but not by much.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Guest Nick_N
Ok, same area (western MN), locked at 31 FPS, first extremely dense, then normal autogenLocking definitely got rid of the stutters....the FPS were a tad lower, but not by much.
now you are 'getting it' :( ========================================The suggestions about frame lock have nothing to do with what the human eye can or can not see they are about how you push your hardware to place priority on keeping things smooth while the PCIe buss is saturated by FSX especially with autogen. The scene and your sliders will make that call. In the same flight on the same settings you can go from a partially saturated PCIe buss to a completely saturated buss as the scenery changes and you fly from one place to another. In that the frame lock may need to be changed IN MID-FLIGHTIn most systems I have usually found 2 frame options that work best (switched to as needed in-flight) especially with LCD monitorsLocked 30 - outside of large airports and cities (Note: may need to be trimmed to between 24 and 30 depending on the system)Unlimited - usually best around airports and large cities but may ALSO be of benefit in heavy weather in areas with a large amount of autogen trees1. DO NOT use the autogen restriction lines in the configuration file for buildings and trees if you are using SP1/SP2. In most cases those lines will throw off the priority system and make the sim run/stutter worse.2. Believe it or not, ZERO autogen slider can make frames drop, how? Same reason as above. Try to maintain at least 50% however very slow systems may need to limit that to 1/4 or even OFFKeeping the autogen slider at 50% or greater actually tends to raise frames. Going too high for the installed hardware and Scenery Complexity/weather is where perf starts to really dropMany can run a 3/4 Scenery Complexity with a 3/4 autogen silder however your mileage may vary.The important part about this slider is if your hardware is not very slow, keep it at a minimum of 50%This slider can also be changed mid-flight as well. There are times when you may fly out of a scenery friendly hub, into a very large urban area hub which may require this slider to be dropped a notch================================================