Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Orlaam

Question About Speed On App

Having briefly skimmed the manuals to get me going for a test run, I noticed that the speed for approach and flaps schedule was a little different procedure than other planes.It appears as though the slowing is done when you extend flaps as it does on the MD-80, which won't slow below a certain speed without flaps setting to the next detent. Is the MD-11 kinda like this? You need to extend flaps and doing so will slow the plane down a little each time? What determines where the speed holds each time? The Boeings seem to let you slow to whatever speed, regardless of flap setting, but a plane like the MD-80 won't slow at all without certain flap extensions? Is the MD-11 like the MD-80s in this regard then?PS. My flight was awesome by the way! I don't know if it was just Active Sky Advanced or what, but I had some really sweet turbulance that rocked the plane in a way I've only seen in real life. That quick bump you get as a gust hits the plane. I don't ever recall this before in FS with a heavy or a GA. The turbulence in FS has always been so smooth.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The MD-11's FMS will slow the aircraft to approach speed independent of flap settings. The FMS will, however, tell you when you can/should lower the next flap setting as it slows the speed.Perhaps someone like Markus might step in and provide the specifics of the decent logic...

Assuming that you are flying with FMS speed selected, ie: preselected/selected speeds displayed in magenta, dashes in the speed window, and flying ECON speed: in a normal descent speed will start to reduce to 245kt at 2000ft above the default constraint of 10,000ft.The speed profile construction then depends on weight, lateral and vertical flight plans, wind and selected landing flap (35 or 50). Further speed reduction will happen at the calculated point to minimum clean speed plus 20kt, then as slats and flaps are extended to min speed +20 for that configuration. If the configuration is not changed a magenta bug appears at the minimum speed foot as a reminder. When flaps 28 or more are selected target speed becomes min. + 5kt.If you prefer to do it yourself, pull the IAS speed selector. Selected speeds are shown in white and in the speed window.That's how it is in the aircraft anyway...Chris

Assuming that you are flying with FMS speed selected, ie: preselected/selected speeds displayed in magenta, dashes in the speed window, and flying ECON speed: in a normal descent speed will start to reduce to 245kt at 2000ft above the default constraint of 10,000ft.The speed profile construction then depends on weight, lateral and vertical flight plans, wind and selected landing flap (35 or 50). Further speed reduction will happen at the calculated point to minimum clean speed plus 20kt, then as slats and flaps are extended to min speed +20 for that configuration. If the configuration is not changed a magenta bug appears at the minimum speed foot as a reminder. When flaps 28 or more are selected target speed becomes min. + 5kt.If you prefer to do it yourself, pull the IAS speed selector. Selected speeds are shown in white and in the speed window.That's how it is in the aircraft anyway...Chris
Thanks Chris.