Sign in to follow this  
metzgergva

Multi -monitor experience

Hi, using 2 monitors (1600*1200) and running FS9 and FSX in window mode. I fly mostly 2D. I detached the FMC and next to it both pedestal (same location) onto the right monitor and the switching between the forward and backward pedestal works fine.One thing though puzzles me and it is apparent in FSX and FS9.There is basically no hit on frames if the FMC and the rear padestal is open, but as soon as the forward pedestal is active I get a strong hit on frames. Example: I'm taxing in FSX on a large default airport and the average is about 22 fps with no panel on the right monitor. Opening FMC and additionally the rear pedestal, I may see 1 fps less. Having the forward pedestal open it drops to 14-15 and the studder in a turn just becomes very visible as the 18-20 seem to be a critical border. Closing the forward pedestal all back to normal 22.So I wonder what gauge is on the forward pedestal that takes so much more calculation power versus the rear pedestal and if me in the settings or maybe the gauge designer can do anything about it to improve it.The same is valid for the FS9 version, but there it is no visible studder as I'm in the 30+ fps even with heavy scenery and AI traffic - actually normally limited at 30 fps.Would be nice to see if someone could check and confirm and PMDG may shed some light on it.Thanks!Alexander

Happy flying!
Alexander M. Metzger

I'm seeing the same thing with certain panels undocked (FS9) and I have a very fast 4ghz system. I only did my first flight last night so I need to experiment but the frames for me where worse then 744 with all screens undocked to seperate screens and flying in VC.It's not the frames that are the problem, certain undocked panels make it slightly jerky for some reason .Rob

Rob Prest

Hi again, just to confirm that the drop in frames continues to exist after the update. Would be nice if the developers could have a look into it.BestAlexander

Happy flying!
Alexander M. Metzger

Hi, using 2 monitors (1600*1200) and running FS9 and FSX in window mode. I fly mostly 2D. I detached the FMC and next to it both pedestal (same location) onto the right monitor and the switching between the forward and backward pedestal works fine.One thing though puzzles me and it is apparent in FSX and FS9.There is basically no hit on frames if the FMC and the rear padestal is open, but as soon as the forward pedestal is active I get a strong hit on frames. Example: I'm taxing in FSX on a large default airport and the average is about 22 fps with no panel on the right monitor. Opening FMC and additionally the rear pedestal, I may see 1 fps less. Having the forward pedestal open it drops to 14-15 and the studder in a turn just becomes very visible as the 18-20 seem to be a critical border. Closing the forward pedestal all back to normal 22.So I wonder what gauge is on the forward pedestal that takes so much more calculation power versus the rear pedestal and if me in the settings or maybe the gauge designer can do anything about it to improve it.The same is valid for the FS9 version, but there it is no visible studder as I'm in the 30+ fps even with heavy scenery and AI traffic - actually normally limited at 30 fps.Would be nice to see if someone could check and confirm and PMDG may shed some light on it.Thanks!Alexander
Alexander,It is the throttle levers movement on the fwd pedestal that cause the frame rate hit. We could ofcourse reduce the animation rate of these levers but then we will get a flood of complaints, as we already got to some extend for the VC yoke and control surfaces animations. Can't have it all, we must make some compromises.

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg