Sign in to follow this  
Gumps

MD-11X Autobrakes...Round Two

First off, many thanks for all of the tweaks and fixes in the patch for the MD-11X. It took a while to read through and digest it all!I was one that had difficulty getting the autobrakes to work on the original release version. I ended up solving it my using FSUIPC Full Version; deleting the brake axis assignments in FSX, and assigning and calibrating them in FSUIPC. I'm using CH Pro Pedals.Seeing that work had been done in this area, I deleted the FSUIPC settings, and reassigned the brake axis in FSX...but, the autobrakes are not working...again. The release notes say *not* to use FSUIPC...why is that?I did see a momentary flash of the red "Brake" and/or "Differential Brakes" messages in the lower left, I think, but it's as if they immediately disconnect. In the past I'd tested it on the ground, by doing an RTO. When I do this with the patch, I see no red "Brake" message at all. The spoiler handle is dutifully deploying appropriately, it's just that the autobrakes are not playing along. (??)I'll do some more testing and tweaking, but figured perhaps someone else has solved this and can point me in the right direction.Any advice is appreciated.Noel WBrisbaneC2D E6850 @3.88800 GTX7900 GS4 Mb RamWinXP SP2FSX Deluxe SP2CH Controllers

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

i7-2600K@4.8||Gigabyte P67A-UD7||8 Gb Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600||Gigabyte GTX580 x 2||Noctua NH-D14||Crucial SATAIII 256Gb x 2||CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W||Coolermaster RC-942 HAF X||Dell U3011 30"|Multiple Monitors w/TH2goD-DH2goD-Touchscreens||Win7 64 Pro||FSX Gold

I had some problems after deassigning the brake axes in FSUIPC and assigning in FS. The autobrake works every time now, though.* Make sure that the brakes are correctly assigned in FS and "reversed" if required. Somehow FSX "lost" the assignments I made after I restarted the sim, which caused some headscratching here.* I had to manually edit the FSUIPC.INI file to remove all traces of brake calibration. Seems as if simply deassigning the axes is not sufficient.Tom

First off, many thanks for all of the tweaks and fixes in the patch for the MD-11X. It took a while to read through and digest it all!I was one that had difficulty getting the autobrakes to work on the original release version. I ended up solving it my using FSUIPC Full Version; deleting the brake axis assignments in FSX, and assigning and calibrating them in FSUIPC. I'm using CH Pro Pedals.Seeing that work had been done in this area, I deleted the FSUIPC settings, and reassigned the brake axis in FSX...but, the autobrakes are not working...again. The release notes say *not* to use FSUIPC...why is that?I did see a momentary flash of the red "Brake" and/or "Differential Brakes" messages in the lower left, I think, but it's as if they immediately disconnect. In the past I'd tested it on the ground, by doing an RTO. When I do this with the patch, I see no red "Brake" message at all. The spoiler handle is dutifully deploying appropriately, it's just that the autobrakes are not playing along. (??)I'll do some more testing and tweaking, but figured perhaps someone else has solved this and can point me in the right direction.Any advice is appreciated.Noel WBrisbaneC2D E6850 @3.88800 GTX7900 GS4 Mb RamWinXP SP2FSX Deluxe SP2CH Controllers
Noel, The reason we changed this is because in the original version there were problems with autobrakes both for users that assigned rudder pedal brakes from the FSX control menu and for users that used FSUIPC for the assignment. Our major concern was to make this work with the default FS controls assignment as we cannot assume that everyone has elected to buy a registered version of FSUIPC. The method we applied ensured that everything (autobrakes and parking brake) works as it should with rudder pedals assigned from FSX menus. However, it will not work if the FSUIPC "joystick calibration" option is used (and this makes also the FSUIPC "axis assignment" option not working because in this case you would have to use the "joystick calibration" option as well to define the reverse nature of the pedal brakes). I won't go into technical details here, but this has to do with the way FSUIPC does the calibration. Maybe we could find a solution to that with the help of Pete, so that a future version of FSUIPC would be compatible with the MD-11 autobrakes. Regarding the problems you have, properly calibrate your rudder pedals, follow Tom's advises, and also make sure the sensitivity slider is set to full in the FSX controls menu and the null zone is close to 0.

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

TomThank you for that advice. Indeed editing the FSUIPC.ini file restored the autobrake function. It's odd though, the MD-11 section of the file, had no brake axis entry information, seemingly 'respecting' my disabling the brake axis for the MD-11 in the GUI. Several other aircraft still had the brake axis info. (??) Well, I deleted it from all locations in the *.ini file, and that cleared it up. Thank you for your advice. Goodness knows, having to apply *manual* brakes, like all those other slobs flying lesser equipped aircraft, is just too much work. :-)Ah well, just the same, it's nice when everything works.And Michael, thank you for the explanation on the behind the scenes change. From my perspective, if it works with the regular FSX Controls, there's no need for a FSUIPC axis assignment. FSUIPC, of course, is brilliant for many other items, but I wouldn't think it's necessary for PMDG or even FSUIPC to make any changes in this regard. (Perhaps there's some particular need for other users...dunno.)Thank you both again for clearing this up. What a great airplane. I still can't get over what a fantastic product this is.Noel WBrisbane

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

i7-2600K@4.8||Gigabyte P67A-UD7||8 Gb Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600||Gigabyte GTX580 x 2||Noctua NH-D14||Crucial SATAIII 256Gb x 2||CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W||Coolermaster RC-942 HAF X||Dell U3011 30"|Multiple Monitors w/TH2goD-DH2goD-Touchscreens||Win7 64 Pro||FSX Gold