Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

graysuit

MD11 - MIC1/2 switch

Hello, I can't switching from MIC1 to MIC2 in MD11. Maybe there is a problem on it, or I wrong somethings?ThanksRob Paris

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello, I can't switching from MIC1 to MIC2 in MD11. Maybe there is a problem on it, or I wrong somethings?ThanksRob Paris
There is the following limitation in the way the FS9 radios work: You can receive either from both VHF1 and VHF2 radios or form only one radio which has to be the same radio as the one you are transmitting, i.e. the same radio that has MIC selected (MIC1 or MIC2). So initially you have MIC1 set and the VHF1 volume knob out which means that you are transmitting and receiving to/from VHF1. That's OK.Then lets say you press MIC2. This would put you in a situation where you would be transmitting on VHF2 but receiving on VHF1 only. This is a configuration that cannot be set in FS. If this was allowed then the audio control switches position would not be corresponding on what is happening on FS9. So, to be able to set MIC2 you should first pull out the VHF2 volume knob, to end up in both transmitting and receiving on to/from VHF2. This is a limitation we added to the captains audio control VHF1 and VHF2 switches operation to ensure you are always in synch with what FS is actually doing.This limitation is not implemented on the F/Os audio control panel. Actually switches on this panel do not intervere with FS settings, since there is no way in FS to have independent captains and F/Os communications. Not sure if I made this clear (I am typing from memory, so I might have missed something here). It might look a bit strange, but the point is that we have modeled it so that there is no way to achieve a "transmit on a radio from which you are not receiving" situation, as this cannot happen in FS9.

There is the following limitation in the way the FS9 radios work: You can receive either from both VHF1 and VHF2 radios or form only one radio which has to be the same radio as the one you are transmitting, i.e. the same radio that has MIC selected (MIC1 or MIC2). So initially you have MIC1 set and the VHF1 volume knob out which means that you are transmitting and receiving to/from VHF1. That's OK.Then lets say you press MIC2. This would put you in a situation where you would be transmitting on VHF2 but receiving on VHF1 only. This is a configuration that cannot be set in FS. If this was allowed then the audio control switches position would not be corresponding on what is happening on FS9. So, to be able to set MIC2 you should first pull out the VHF2 volume knob, to end up in both transmitting and receiving on to/from VHF2. This is a limitation we added to the captains audio control VHF1 and VHF2 switches operation to ensure you are always in synch with what FS is actually doing.This limitation is not implemented on the F/Os audio control panel. Actually switches on this panel do not intervere with FS settings, since there is no way in FS to have independent captains and F/Os communications. Not sure if I made this clear (I am typing from memory, so I might have missed something here). It might look a bit strange, but the point is that we have modeled it so that there is no way to achieve a "transmit on a radio from which you are not receiving" situation, as this cannot happen in FS9.
Correction:The above described concept applies only for the FSX version, but in a different way:Setting MIC1/MIC2 will force the VHF1/VHF2 volume knob to be automatically pulled out (if not already out) to ensure the FS "can't transmit on a radio from which you are not receiving" limitation. And also, pulling the VHF1 or VHF2 volume knob out will automatically turn on MIC1 or MIC2.In the FS9 version, it should work the same way, but there is indeed a bug that will not allow switching. We will fix that in the next update. Until then you can use the FS9 key assignments "COM 1 transmit on" and ""COM 2 transmit on" to select MIC1/MIC2.