Sign in to follow this  
Guest neutronium76

No AI or flyable jet aircraft contrails when at high altitude

Guest neutronium76

Hello to everyone.I am running FSX on 3 different OSs WinxPx86, WinXPx64 and WinVistaUltimatex64. I have installed exactly the same add-ons on all 3 OSs, namely:SP1, FSX Acceleration,UTX Europe, UTX USA, UTX Canada, GEX USA/Canada/Alaska, Flight Environment X, Real Environment Extreme, Active Sky Advanced, Active Sky X with SP4, X Graphics, Switzerland Professional, FS Global 2008, NextMApPromesh for UK,Germany,Florida, California, Hawai, Oklahoma, MytrafficXver5.2, SuperTrafficboard, XtremePrototypes X15 V1,V2,V3, SR71 Blackbird, F22,F16, Valkyrie, 737-400 from FS9(already converted to FSX by the author David Grindele). On Windows XPx86 and XPx64 I get high altitude contrails (I am not talking about the smoke system which can be activated by pressing key "I".) On Windows Vistax64 Ultimate I used to get AI and user aircraft contrails but not any more. The last add-on I remember installing is probably ActiveSky Advanced. But it may be NextMApProMesh - I can't remember. I always install every add-on on all OSs, Vista first. So the whole FSX with add-ons is exactly the same. If Anyone could shed some light on why this has happened on winvista, I'd be really thankfull to them. One more thing I remember is that I have turned DX10 preview on/off before the contrails disappeared from FSX/Vista. I have all display settings the same for all FSX installations and all display settings have been reset to minimum and back to my prefered level. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Guest neutronium76

I found it! Its the Active Sky Advanced that's causing the contrails to disappear! I don't know why. And it is OS independent. I noticed it also occurs in WinXP.

I found it! Its the Active Sky Advanced that's causing the contrails to disappear! I don't know why. And it is OS independent. I noticed it also occurs in WinXP.
Wow ASA gremlins continue to surface.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Wow ASA gremlins continue to surface.
I have more than 400 aircraft types under FSX and those that develop a contrail have it. You need to add two entries in order for it to work.(GeneralEngineData])//0=Piston, 1=Jet, 2=None, 3=Helo-Turbine, 4=Rocket, 5=Turbopropengine_type = 1fuel_flow_scalar = 1engine.0 = 4.75, -16.1, -4.5engine.1 = 4.75, 16.1, -4.5min_throttle_limit=-0.450000max_contrail_temperature=-27(effects)wake = fx_wakewater = fx_spraydirt = fx_tchdrtconcrete = fx_sparkstouchdown = fx_tchdwn, 1contrail=fx_A_I_ContrailNote the max_contrail_temperature=-27 and the contrail=fx_A_I_Contrail statements. This is an effect and goes in the main FSX\Effects folder and is governed by the air temperature. Each aircraft.cfg file for those aircraft that generate contrails must have these two entries. I implement this effect for all jets. You can get the effects file here at AVSIM.fbBTW - I am using Vista 32-bit

Guest neutronium76
I have more than 400 aircraft types under FSX and those that develop a contrail have it. You need to add two entries in order for it to work.(GeneralEngineData])//0=Piston, 1=Jet, 2=None, 3=Helo-Turbine, 4=Rocket, 5=Turbopropengine_type = 1fuel_flow_scalar = 1engine.0 = 4.75, -16.1, -4.5engine.1 = 4.75, 16.1, -4.5min_throttle_limit=-0.450000max_contrail_temperature=-27(effects)wake = fx_wakewater = fx_spraydirt = fx_tchdrtconcrete = fx_sparkstouchdown = fx_tchdwn, 1contrail=fx_A_I_ContrailNote the max_contrail_temperature=-27 and the contrail=fx_A_I_Contrail statements. This is an effect and goes in the main FSX\Effects folder and is governed by the air temperature. Each aircraft.cfg file for those aircraft that generate contrails must have these two entries. I implement this effect for all jets. You can get the effects file here at AVSIM.fbBTW - I am using Vista 32-bit
Thanks fbass.I know about this effect. I installed it already but I still get akward contrail effects in AI traffic. So I want to revert back to the original fx_contrail_l.fx. Is there a quick batch executable that changes the aircraft.cfg for all AI and flyable Jets insteed of manually editting all of them one-by-one? The reason I am asking is that I have MyTrafficX add-on with 100s of AI aircrafts and :( ...

Thanks fbass.I know about this effect. I installed it already but I still get akward contrail effects in AI traffic. So I want to revert back to the original fx_contrail_l.fx. Is there a quick batch executable that changes the aircraft.cfg for all AI and flyable Jets insteed of manually editting all of them one-by-one? The reason I am asking is that I have MyTrafficX add-on with 100s of AI aircrafts and :( ...
I don't know of any batch edit that would provide the capability you require. I know your feeling about the number of aircraft. I think I have more than 400 aircraft types. The only good thing - once you do it (provided you backup your aircraft) you'll never have to do it again. Just remember to place the effect on every new aircraft you install.As for the problems with the contrails - I haven't seen that on my system so I don't have a solution to your problem - sorry man.fb

Look for a program by Markus Brunner called FSXaicontrails. It will do what you want to do.Hope this helps.

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

Guest neutronium76

1586230CFI I have tried this program. It is supposed to add any contrail effect to the AI and flyable jets but it actually only uses fx_A_I_Contrail.fx. When u enter a different .fx file name it doesn't use it. Thanks for the advice anyway.fbass fortunately I am lucky. I have the same FSX installation in 3 OSs so I will copy/paste the original aircraft files. :(