Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bpcw001

Problem with keystrokes

Hi all,I've been using Radar Contact 4.3 for about three days now, working my way through the manual and training flights. It's a great piece of software which dramatically enhances the realism of ATC in FSX.However, I've got a major problem:On a seemingly random basis, the keystrokes for RC as defined in the RC keyboard dialog are not recognized!It may happen that I can see the push-back menu option in the RC window after having contacted ground and copied my clearance, but on pressing the assigned key nothing happens. Or picture this:I don't use pilot auto-reply.Thus, the controller waits for a confirmation and I keep hitting the assigned key form confirm but nothing happens, so that the controller angrily keeps repeating his phrases and I get scolded for not listening properly.During all of this, RC is active (I can hear RC comms with other airplanes) and I can use any other non-RC related keystrokes, e. g. for setting my altimeter, so it's not that the keyboard is broken or generally blocked in FSX or something like that.Then, after some time (what does RC do in the meantime?), RC might let me use the menu again, but sometimes it just stops altogether (very nice if you're right on a vectored approach and can't proceed because you cannot confirm what the controller just said)I've already checked that FSUIPC is set up the way it should (according to the RC manual) and that none of the keystrokes I configured for RC are used in FSX/TrackIR.I use the following config for my flights:FSX+Acceleration, TrackIR 4, FSUIPC (not the version that comes with RC, but a newer one), DA Piper Cheyenne with Reality XP GNS530.I have two screens, the RC window usually being placed on the second screen.Anyone else have that problem? Any ideas? What might cause RC stop reacting to keystrokes?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi all,I've been using Radar Contact 4.3 for about three days now, working my way through the manual and training flights. It's a great piece of software which dramatically enhances the realism of ATC in FSX.However, I've got a major problem:On a seemingly random basis, the keystrokes for RC as defined in the RC keyboard dialog are not recognized!It may happen that I can see the push-back menu option in the RC window after having contacted ground and copied my clearance, but on pressing the assigned key nothing happens. Or picture this:I don't use pilot auto-reply.Thus, the controller waits for a confirmation and I keep hitting the assigned key form confirm but nothing happens, so that the controller angrily keeps repeating his phrases and I get scolded for not listening properly.During all of this, RC is active (I can hear RC comms with other airplanes) and I can use any other non-RC related keystrokes, e. g. for setting my altimeter, so it's not that the keyboard is broken or generally blocked in FSX or something like that.Then, after some time (what does RC do in the meantime?), RC might let me use the menu again, but sometimes it just stops altogether (very nice if you're right on a vectored approach and can't proceed because you cannot confirm what the controller just said)I've already checked that FSUIPC is set up the way it should (according to the RC manual) and that none of the keystrokes I configured for RC are used in FSX/TrackIR.I use the following config for my flights:FSX+Acceleration, TrackIR 4, FSUIPC (not the version that comes with RC, but a newer one), DA Piper Cheyenne with Reality XP GNS530.I have two screens, the RC window usually being placed on the second screen.Anyone else have that problem? Any ideas? What might cause RC stop reacting to keystrokes?
fs needs to have focus for me to see the keys. fs needs to running for me to see the keys. possibly another app might be grabbing the keys before i see themjd

fs needs to have focus for me to see the keys. fs needs to running for me to see the keys. possibly another app might be grabbing the keys before i see themjd
I run FSX in full-screen mode and have got several 2-D-panels (radio etc) open on my second monitor. However, I clicked on the RC window in order to focus there and then reissued the commands, but still the keystrokes are not accepted or at least don't do anything in RC.I wouldn't know of any other apps grabbing away the keystrokes because sometimes RC actually gets the input, so I guess it's not a systematic problem with another app hijacking the key commands.btw, dumb question: the text in my RC window is red, while it is green in the manual. Red may indicate something is wrong. Could that be a problem?

I run FSX in full-screen mode and have got several 2-D-panels (radio etc) open on my second monitor. However, I clicked on the RC window in order to focus there and then reissued the commands, but still the keystrokes are not accepted or at least don't do anything in RC.I wouldn't know of any other apps grabbing away the keystrokes because sometimes RC actually gets the input, so I guess it's not a systematic problem with another app hijacking the key commands.btw, dumb question: the text in my RC window is red, while it is green in the manual. Red may indicate something is wrong. Could that be a problem?
do not click on the rc window. that gives rc the focus. rc can't see the keystrokes that are supposed to be coming from fs, when rc has focus. make sure fs has focus, then the keys will work.

do not click on the rc window. that gives rc the focus. rc can't see the keystrokes that are supposed to be coming from fs, when rc has focus. make sure fs has focus, then the keys will work.
I experimented a bit further and it indeed turns out to be a focus problem:I usually run FSX in full-screen mode across 2 monitors:On monitor 1, I fly in virtual cockpit view with TrackIROn monitor 2, I put all the 2D-subpanels I use often, such as radio stack, GPS, etc which are to annoying to be operated precisely in VC viewIn order to make RC accept keystrokes, I need to proceed as follows:1. Leave the RC window on monitor 12. Whenever I operate something on the 2D-panels on monitor 2, RC is dead for keystrokes. I need to click onto some arbitrary space on monitor 1 to make RC accept commands again.Using this procedure, I can keep going nicely and fluently with RC.An interesting fact is that when I put the RC window on monitor 2 (which I initially did to have all windows sorted away from the virtual cockpit on monitor 1), RC will not accept keystrokes after any operation on the 2D panels on monitor 2 without a possibility to bring it back to accepting commands.Just wanted to let you know, maybe you can find out what's going on and put some fix or improvement into a future release.Thanks for your patience and thanks for the great RC software!