Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

MD-11 : anyone has the 2d cockpit layout on extra monitors ?

Hi all,Before trying things myself I was wondering if anyone has tried putting the 2d cockpit + pedestal + overhead on extra monitors ?Or is using a home cockpit with the flightdisplays undocked on extra monitors ?If you have it perhaps you can post some (screen) shots of it amd tell us how you did it.I was even thinking of putting the 2d cockpit on 2 monitors on a server and then through Wideview the 3d cockpit on a client ( just for 3d viewing ). Thanks,Gerard Salden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

My main screen died on the weekend so I cant post screenshots But I have the VC with TrackIR on a 42" LCD and the MCDU,FCU, Systems display DU3 Engine alert display DU4, Engine start panel,SISP Running of two 17" screens I only have sceenshots of my 744 setup, it's not hard to do just go into windowed mode and drag to the other monitors, then back to fullscreen. Rob

Rob Prest

Hopefully you will be able to post some screenshots later.I am very curious about the look and framerates.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Hi GerardI'm currently running FSX and the MD-11 with 5 monitors (dang, that MD-11 is just incredible)...TH2go Digital runs 3 19"(1280x1024) at 3840x1024, and 2 19" widescreen monitors above and below for the main instrument panel and overhead panel. (Note: TH2go *Digital* is a must IMO, because of the 'bezel management' feature...vs. the Analog version.)A 8800GTX runs the TH2go and the main intrument panel.A 7900GS runs the overhead panel.When they arrive, I will be adding a 17" widescreen touchscreen for the MCDU and other subpanels, plus, I'm adding a 17" touchscreen to a second computer networked to run TouchBuddy (so I can control some of the 'administrative' FS items without poking around in the FS menus...just poke a button on the screen). If the touchscreens work out, I'm hoping to add touchscreen overlays to my existing overhead and main instrument panels...but I'm not sure if all of those touch screens will play together happily. I'm hoping Win7's touted touchscreen support will help out here. I have the beta, but haven't gotten that far yet.In anticipation of adding yet another screen, I temporaily hooked up another 19" monitor, bringing the total to 6 actual monitors, and noticed only a slight effect on performance. I think that this might be due to the fact that I'm only using instrument panels on the 'extra' screens - no outside views.My system is:C2D E6850 @ 3.88800GTX (stock)7900gs (stock)4 Gb DDR2 ramMSI P35 Platinum MBWinXP SP2 Home (should have installed Pro...)FSX SP2I normally do not use Autogen...I can with some hit, but I often don't like the look40% Airliner traffic (no GA) and maybe 5% carsWater 2x lowI start FSX in 'windowed' mode, undock all of the panels, and drag them to the appropriate monitor where I want them. Save the flight. Go to 'full screen', tweak positions, go back to 'windowed mode', and save using the same file name. Close FSX.I name the file something like "MD-11 Start", and always open that flight to begin with, so that all of the panels (and there are a lot of them on the MD-11) are where I want them and I don't have to go setting them all up again. I just move the airplane to another airport, change the weather etc for what I want to do that particular flight. And I fly in 'full screen' mode.Overall system and FSX are tuned per NickN's sage advice (with some deviation based on local conditions and preference)Having said all of that, the system runs "smooth" in most places. When given a choice between eye candy and smooth, I go with smooth. Just my preference. I stay away from the large congested airports for the most part. I have my FPS locked at 40, and it's 30+ most of the time. In my experience, FSX is never smooth ALL of the time. For example, when the textures change at dusk, I'll see a burp. Also, with side screens (with TH2go), the sense of motion is increased markedly. But the jerkiness on the ground when turning say 90 degrees during taxiing, is more prominent as well.I've used multiple monitors for the last couple of years. I just could never see enough on one screen, and turning base to final was always annoying...using the POV control. I tried TrackIR but never got the hang of it. Mine is now an older version and I know they've made great strides. Many have had great success with that device. I only fly with 2D panels. And to me, there's nothing like having a wide open outside view.Oh, and I almost forgot. As a bonus, when using an exterior view, like 'Spot' or 'Flyby', the airplane is spread over three monitors. It appears huge if you're zoomed in close. Seeing the MD-11 fly by on three screens is quite impressive. And despite what some have to say about the MD-11 exterior model, I think it's very well done. Mind you, I spend most of my time inside looking out, so whatever compromises were made, I'm glad because the MD-11, as complex as it is, defies logic by being one of my smoothest addons. Forgive me for gushing here, but I can't get over how marvelous an addon, in total, PMDG's MD-11 is. A team of people slaves away for many hours over years, and I get to enjoy it all for the price of a nice dinner out. [OK, go ahead and say it. I know what you're thinking. "a really excited user". Hehe, well whatever. I read so much bickering and flaming...maybe this helps balance the scale. :-)]In summary, FPS is an elusive measurement in FSX, as has been discussed ad infinitum. "Smoothness" is subjective as well. But let me say, that last night after flying a 'proper' flight, I switched to a VFR hop at Sion, Switzerland at dusk. With the REX textures, the visuals were just stunning. Taking off towards the setting sun and flying through the mountains, things were as smooth as glass, absolutely fluid...spread across three screens with no instrument panels blocking my view. Sigh...makes all the tweaking worth it.*** Edit: Note that there are two photos...they ended up side by side, so scroll to the right. ***Good luckNoel WBrisbane

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

i7-2600K@4.8||Gigabyte P67A-UD7||8 Gb Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600||Gigabyte GTX580 x 2||Noctua NH-D14||Crucial SATAIII 256Gb x 2||CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W||Coolermaster RC-942 HAF X||Dell U3011 30"|Multiple Monitors w/TH2goD-DH2goD-Touchscreens||Win7 64 Pro||FSX Gold

Very nice looking setup you have there !Great work !This kind of pictures inspires others.