Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jobim

Problem with very short final at SBRJ

Guest Jobim

Hello friends,I have been experiencing a problem in the final approach for SBRJ - Santos Dumont airport (Rio de Janeiro). The problem happens when I choose the VOR/DME procedure for runway 02R. According to this procedure, you fly a "kind of" downwind - almost parallel to runway -, then, after stablishing visual contact with the runway, you fly a very short base and final (less than 2 miles from the runway). It is arguably one of the most difficult approaches worldwide, with mountains nearby. I select IAP approach (VOR/DME), as needed, but the approach control only tells me to contact tower when I am finishing the turn to final, which happens not more than 15 seconds before touchdown. Ideally, app should request me to contact tower when I am at middle downwind leg, because everything afterwards happens very fast.Is it possible to reproduce this real life situation in Radar Contact?As a matter of fact, the excessively late switch to tower also happens with offset ILS (as reported in other topics). Thank you very much and best regards,Dario

Hello friends,I have been experiencing a problem in the final approach for SBRJ - Santos Dumont airport (Rio de Janeiro). The problem happens when I choose the VOR/DME procedure for runway 02R. According to this procedure, you fly a "kind of" downwind - almost parallel to runway -, then, after stablishing visual contact with the runway, you fly a very short base and final (less than 2 miles from the runway). It is arguably one of the most difficult approaches worldwide, with mountains nearby. I select IAP approach (VOR/DME), as needed, but the approach control only tells me to contact tower when I am finishing the turn to final, which happens not more than 15 seconds before touchdown. Ideally, app should request me to contact tower when I am at middle downwind leg, because everything afterwards happens very fast.Is it possible to reproduce this real life situation in Radar Contact?As a matter of fact, the excessively late switch to tower also happens with offset ILS (as reported in other topics). Thank you very much and best regards,Dario
switching to tower is hard coded to happen at 7 miles. i can't think of a way to fake it into making you contact tower.

If you report the field in sight(request a visual approach) don't you get transferred over to Tower?You can do this after you have been given the OK to do the IAP appoach.

Guest Jobim
If you report the field in sight(request a visual approach) don't you get transferred over to Tower?You can do this after you have been given the OK to do the IAP appoach.
Chrispeel, you're right. I tried this way and it worked fine! You just need to request visual, and you quickly receive authorization to land, even if you`re still not aligned with the runway. Thank you!

OK Dario.It sounds like a good approach to try.I don't have the plates in my South American Chart book.Only the ones for Rio International(SBGL)Are they on the web?

i didn't know that. i knew it, but i didn't put 2 and 2 together. thanks!

Guest Jobim
OK Dario.It sounds like a good approach to try.I don't have the plates in my South American Chart book.Only the ones for Rio International(SBGL)Are they on the web?
Hello Chris,The charts for SBRJ can be found here:http://www.aisweb.aer.mil.br/aisweb/The site is in Portuguese, but you only need to click on "Cartas" (link at left on initial page), then type "SBRJ" in the upper left blank field, then click button "Consultar". Then you can check IAC "VOR DME NDB RWY 02. I enjoy flying in Rio with this scenery:http://secure.simmarket.com/world-scenerie...full-pack.phtmlHere you can see a screenshot of Santos Dumont airport:http://online.simmarket.com/worldsceneries/riofull/120.jpgBest regards!

Thanks Dario!I did find some charts thanks to Google but nothing for R/W 02 so I will have a look at those sites you mention