Sign in to follow this  
craig_read

PMDG 747X Paint Lighting Effects

Hi all,I have been doing some research on this topic and I believe it has something to do with alpha channels!? But I am not sure.. Basically I have a repaint of an aircraft all done. It loads in FSX with no trouble and the aircraft looks great, so long as it's landing lights or logo lights are not on, I have some great shots of it at the gates etc.. Basically the logo light just uniformly makes the entire tail lighter, and it just looks like the tail is painted in brilliant white while the rest isn't, and same with the landing lights for the front portion of the fuselage... it does not look realistic at all. I am wondering what I need to do to my repaint in order to get these lighting effects to show up properly.. The aircraft I am repainting is the PMDG 747X passenger.. Could anyone explain to a complete newbie at this what I am doing wrong.ThanksCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Hi all,I have been doing some research on this topic and I believe it has something to do with alpha channels!? But I am not sure.. Basically I have a repaint of an aircraft all done. It loads in FSX with no trouble and the aircraft looks great, so long as it's landing lights or logo lights are not on, I have some great shots of it at the gates etc.. Basically the logo light just uniformly makes the entire tail lighter, and it just looks like the tail is painted in brilliant white while the rest isn't, and same with the landing lights for the front portion of the fuselage... it does not look realistic at all. I am wondering what I need to do to my repaint in order to get these lighting effects to show up properly.. The aircraft I am repainting is the PMDG 747X passenger.. Could anyone explain to a complete newbie at this what I am doing wrong.ThanksCraig
Just scrub this post please I figured it out now!

Craig Read, EGLL

Just scrub this post please I figured it out now!
Maybe it`s a good idea to tell the community ( in a few words only) what caused the trouble and how you fixed it.It makes a post like this more usefull and can prevent others from chasing the same phenomena.RegardsLeen de Jager

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Guest maDBoos

Hi.I have the very same problem when painting this aircraft. I'd apreciate a lot to find out how to solve this, but so far... :( Could anyone give a hint about solving this?Thanks in advancemaDBoos

Craig!Let me be frank to you.I`think it`s not very polite putting a question on this forum , making ohter people starting puzzling about your problem and then saying, forget about my question I solved the problem myself.WE ,the people you adressed to in the first place , the ones who took time to think about your problem like this guy, would like to have a decent response from you.Acting the way you do now isn`t really the best way to motivate the community to spend any time to your questions on this forum in future.Leen de Jager

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Guest maDBoos

Hello.I found out how to solve it! It's quite simple indeed. Assuming we are using Photoshop, when painting either fuse or tail, we simply open a finished .DDS texture (PMDG's itself for instance), select Channels tab, click and drag the "Alpha" channel from the .DDS to the .PSD we are working on. Then on .PSD file we'll have two alpha channels (just check on Channels tab). Just delete the older one since it's not properly configured to expose lighting effects in the dark and leave the one we have dragged from a finished .DDS texture. We need to do this because the paint kit .PSD photoshop file doesn't bring the right alpha channel. For those who use DXTBmp, when converting PSD to DDS DXT5 be aware to just "Flip Image" and not "Flip image and Alpha" because the alpha channel you have just dragged from .DDS file is already flipped (it came from a finished .DDS texture file, remember?).That's it.Brgds

hi can you please help me on how to do this process,  i am using  the paintshop pro x7  and i did delete the alpha layer from the pax map 748i but now i cant find out how to drag and paste it. i cant also find the channel tab in this software.  maDBoos please help me with this. It is exactly the same problem you had. If there is someone that can help me  aguinaldomota1 at skype , and aguinaldo mota on facebook , brown skin man kkkkkkk thank you.