Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jfri

Which NVIDIA driver would you use with this system

I now have a AMD 64 4000+ 2 Gb PC3200 RAM NVIDIA 7950GT 512M DDR3 AGP with Win XP Home SP2 and FS9.1 and FSX SP1.I currently use the 178.24 drivers from NVIDIA. I have encountered several problems where the video drivers could be the problem.For example SP2 for FSX gave me problems with vertical flashing spikes in the display. Other games has crashed with corrupted and flickering graphics which require reboot to rectify. I have also lately encountered several bluescreens when running FSX.So is it a good idea to install another driver and so which one and why? Another question. Do you think a ATI 3850 AGP would work better on my system than a 7950GT?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I now have a AMD 64 4000+ 2 Gb PC3200 RAM NVIDIA 7950GT 512M DDR3 AGP with Win XP Home SP2 and FS9.1 and FSX SP1.I currently use the 178.24 drivers from NVIDIA. I have encountered several problems where the video drivers could be the problem.For example SP2 for FSX gave me problems with vertical flashing spikes in the display. Other games has crashed with corrupted and flickering graphics which require reboot to rectify. I have also lately encountered several bluescreens when running FSX.So is it a good idea to install another driver and so which one and why? Another question. Do you think a ATI 3850 AGP would work better on my system than a 7950GT?
Don't know what driver would be good. I can tell you that the 3850 AGP will give a better FS9 performance at high resolutions (1920x1200x32) compared to the 7950GT - I have owned both on a AMD 64 X2 machine... I have no information on the effect in FSX. Of course for FS9 you will definately be CPU limited though so perhaps a faster CPU and a flush-out of the system will help more...Geoff

Don't know what driver would be good. I can tell you that the 3850 AGP will give a better FS9 performance at high resolutions (1920x1200x32) compared to the 7950GT - I have owned both on a AMD 64 X2 machine... I have no information on the effect in FSX. Of course for FS9 you will definately be CPU limited though so perhaps a faster CPU and a flush-out of the system will help more...Geoff
I have a 19" TFT at 1280*1024*32. I suppose 1920*1200 is for a 24" TFT minimum. What 64 X2 CPU did you have?