Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lulupaca

MD-11 effects question

Hello, I have a few questions about the MD-11, FS9 version:1 - In FS9's effects folder the MD11 installs a bunch of effects files like:fx_PMDG_MD11_apu_fire.fxfx_PMDG_MD11_flapvortex.fxfx_PMDG_MD11_fuel_dump.fxfx_PMDG_MD11_engine_fire.fxetc... but I haven't seen any of these actually working. I set up the failures menu to simulate engine and apu fires, and did some fuel dumping but didn't see any visual effect. Am I doing something wrong?2 - What are the differences between the normal and "b" .mdl models? (eg. Model.GE vs. Model.GEb)3 - If I need to come back to the airport of origin a few minutes after take-off, what's the right way to set up the FMS for landing? Thanks for any help! :(

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello, I have a few questions about the MD-11, FS9 version:1 - In FS9's effects folder the MD11 installs a bunch of effects files like:fx_PMDG_MD11_apu_fire.fxfx_PMDG_MD11_flapvortex.fxfx_PMDG_MD11_fuel_dump.fxfx_PMDG_MD11_engine_fire.fxetc... but I haven't seen any of these actually working. I set up the failures menu to simulate engine and apu fires, and did some fuel dumping but didn't see any visual effect. Am I doing something wrong?2 - What are the differences between the normal and "b" .mdl models? (eg. Model.GE vs. Model.GEb)3 - If I need to come back to the airport of origin a few minutes after take-off, what's the right way to set up the FMS for landing? Thanks for any help! :(
Lucas, Vin will be able to explain better issues 1 & 2.1. From what I know, the effects files were copied directly from the FSX version, although some of them do not apply to the FS9 version. For example fuel dump is not modeled in FS9. Fire effects should work.2. It has to do with the location/size of one of the cargo doors (Vin can give more details).3. There are several ways to do that. If you want to fly a proper approach you must first change the destination airport entry to that of the origin. Select any waypoint ahead of you, go to the LAT REV page and use the "NEW DEST" entry. SAfter that you can add an appropriated approach/STAR/Transition using again the LAT REV page. You might then need to do some clean-up, like deleting discontinuities, or adding/deleting waypoints, or performing a DIR TO depending on your current position.I suppose that in case of an emergency, if you don't have time for this set-up, you just disengaged NAV and PROF modes and fly the AP through FCP commads (HDG select, VS or LVL CHNG), most prpbably following ATC instructions.

Hello, I have a few questions about the MD-11, FS9 version:1 - In FS9's effects folder the MD11 installs a bunch of effects files like:fx_PMDG_MD11_apu_fire.fxfx_PMDG_MD11_flapvortex.fxfx_PMDG_MD11_fuel_dump.fxfx_PMDG_MD11_engine_fire.fxetc... but I haven't seen any of these actually working. I set up the failures menu to simulate engine and apu fires, and did some fuel dumping but didn't see any visual effect. Am I doing something wrong?
Many of the effect files were originally from FSX, but FS9 does not support the same flexibility when it comes to triggering FX files. While the FX files reside in the FS9 Effects folder, these were never implemented. Engine fire effects, flap vortex, fuel dump etc... are not implemented in the FS9 version of the PMDG MD-11
2 - What are the differences between the normal and "b" .mdl models? (eg. Model.GE vs. Model.GEb)
The "B" models have a smaller aft lower lobe cargo door that is moved slightly aft of the non B models. While none of the PMDG house liveries reference this model, it is referenced by various livery packs. The "B" is an internal PMDG reference, not an official McDonnell Douglas or Boeing designator.

Vin you say: Engine fire effects, flap vortex, fuel dump etc... are not implemented in the FS9 version of the PMDG MD-11.My question is: Is there for FS9 a possibility to activate the vortex manually by preshing I? For IFDG MD11 in the past this was working. For PMDG is is not. I tried to edit aircraft.cfg and add smokesystem points but this was not succesfull. It would be nice to add vortex, although manually added. In FSX I do get vortex now and then from standard PMDG model, good work!Kind regards,Cornelis Boersmawww.dvag.nl