Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

For Reality-XP users, your comments and help.

I was browsing the Reality-XP site and saw their really nice looking products.I was wondering there is two different products they offer:1 - Flight Line Avionics v1.2 for Flight Simulator 2002and2 - Flight Line 530XP v1.1 for Flight Simulator 2002Now they both look absolutely awesome. I am just not sure which one is for me, or if there is any differences in them that would cause to buy one over the other. And how do they integrate into existing aircraft, freeware, payware, shareware and whatever else I missed?Once again I need you guys input and reccomendations. Thanks for your help. I have been hearing great things about R-XP and thought I would look into it.Thanks

http://www.forefrontgrp.com/jayssigsmall.jpg "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss!"

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,I have both and you cannot go wrong with either product. The 530 is a more graphical gps with lots more options than the Flight Line Avionics.The 530 will drive your CDI, show you approach procedures, give you VNAV information and can also act as your COMM and NAV radios. It also has a TCAS alert system which is really nice.The Flightline Avionics can tune your radios also and have some form of a moving map but not as many options as the 530. Right now I personally use the Flight Line Avionics due to less overhead on the CPU (the 530 has to start a 16bit trainer program in the background). The FLA gives me everything I need which is basically navigation via GPS and much better than the default FS2002 gps.Both can be easily implemented in any panel in you FS2002 hangar via a configuration manager.Its more of personal choice which you prefer but like I said you really cannot go wrong with either.Sean

The 530 integrates very nicely into panels as it can be displayed in VC as well as 2D-panel mode. The flightline 1.2 currently lacks the ability for VC display, but this shortcoming will be fixed in the 1.3 release, which should be a free upgrade. - Oyvind

I don't have the Flight Line Avionics, only the 530XP, and I would certainly prefer the latter. Just take a look at the different displays ... tiny monochrome versus big color display. In addition, the 530XP features numerous SIDs and STARs, which alone makes it worth buying.If I have missed some cool features of the other unit, please correct me, but right now I think the 530XP wins without a doubt. On my 1 GHz Duron the FPS hit is very low, no problem. And it seems that with version 1.2 we'll get a free 430XP (smaller screen, more appropriate for some panels) in addition to the 530XP. While it seems that there are some resource problems at the moment, even a combination of 530XP/430XP may be possible in the future. That's something you see on a lot of real world panels.Just my 2c (EUR),VOlker :]

The FLA 1.2 Instruments are all available via pop-ups which are fully scalable and can be permanently sized by modifying panel.cfg. They are all installable in to a panel (I use FS Panel Studio which is a somewhat WYSIWYG panel and gauge payware editor).The line includes an audio panel, NAV-COMM radio with two channel monitoring and linear LCD OBI if turned on), transponder, and ADF receiver. These are convenient but you can also use your regular radio stack as well.I find it more legible to read (than the 530 demos) at smaller scales due to its bright mono color and sharper dynamicly adjusted display resolution. I find some info in the 530 is just too dark a blue to easily read except as a large scaled window, OK for a dual monitor setup.The Apollo GPS currently interfaces with the heading mode of your AP when your coupling switch is in the GPS position. That supposed to be changed to the NAV AP switch in 1.3.If you turn them on, the 1.2 GPS shows airspace limit lines (classes D, C, :(, restricted areas, national park borders, etc. Don't know about the 530 in this area.The GPS display allows airport declutter based on your minimum runway surface, length, and lighting settings. Intersections, Airports, and Nav-aids can each be in turn identified, labeled, or not displayed at all to keep clutter down. Don't know about the 530 in this respect.All data is built from FS2K2 files. The Garmin uses the trainer's Jeppesen data base, a proprietary format.The FLA 1.2 can load FS2K2 flight plans from the myflights folder created in the standard FS2K2 format. The current version is limited to the first 32 in that folder, 1.3 allows many more and more waypoints per plan. All points for a controlled Garmin flight must be entered manually except the last one -- correct me if I'm incorrect.I use NAV 3.1 for a planner, Radar Contact v3.01, FS Metar with the FLA 1.2. I've been very happy with it using its stack embedded into my panels.