Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest darrincates

LOD question

If I only fly a Piper Cub really slow, under 5000ft, is there a way to configure the ProxyUser.ini to have TP only ask for just those low alt tiles? or just those rings of LOD?I never want to fly high or fast, but I would like to get the best visuals under 5000ft at a slow pace ... I would like Tileproxy to utilize my internet connection by only requesting those tiles. I will never need the tiles used for over 6000ft, or maybe it doesn't work that way?max_lod=15preload_min_lod=9 - "Lowest LOD ring to automatically preload tiles for. Must not be lower than 8." ... is that the high level flight tiles or the low level flight tiles?preload_max_lod=15 - "Lowest LOD ring to automatically preload tiles for. Must not be higher than 17." ... is that the low level flight tiles or the high level flight tiles? max_contexts=512cache_bytes_limit=100000000 cache_tiles_limit=100000... setting to 0 or higher might help?[service Example 3]cache_folder=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\cache.service3network_module=libnettilemodule_config="conn=20|rate=2.0|verbose=0|server=http://us.maps3.yimg.com|path=/aerial.maps.yimg.com/img?x=%x&y=%y&z=%z&v=%v&t=a|useragent=Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"min_level=5max_level=17map_version=1.8color_hack=Yeslevel_mapping=9,10,11,14,14,14,15,16,17color_level=13bulk_extend=50Thanks for any help!screenshots: http://www.mainecustomdesign.com/tileproxy/

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I used TP strictly for gliding at low altitudes for quite a while (I've since expanded to other stuff - making it look good at 20,000+ feet and 300+ knots is much harder).1. Tweak your "conn=20|rate=2.0" settings to make full use of your internet connection. If you are not experiencing timeouts in the TP window, you can get more.2. Level mapping is your friend. Find out how many LODs are visible from that altitude and set those outside your view to the minimum. Optimize the rest to what you want.3. If your level mapping is 9,9,9,9,9,17,17,17,17 than you will only download those LODs' textures (9 and 17).

I used TP strictly for gliding at low altitudes for quite a while (I've since expanded to other stuff - making it look good at 20,000+ feet and 300+ knots is much harder).
I'll bet! ...
1. Tweak your "conn=20|rate=2.0" settings to make full use of your internet connection. If you are not experiencing timeouts in the TP window, you can get more.
when you say 'tweak' ... I don't get timeouts in TP, Can I set these to something else?
2. Level mapping is your friend. Find out how many LODs are visible from that altitude and set those outside your view to the minimum. Optimize the rest to what you want.
I know it's my friend, but I'm scared of it ...
3. If your level mapping is 9,9,9,9,9,17,17,17,17 than you will only download those LODs' textures (9 and 17).
So your saying that if I fly low and slow, I only need levels 9 through 17? and that I can tell TP via the Proxyuser.ini to only DL those levels of tiles? Is level 17 the high res, real close to the ground tiles using the 30cm tiles, or is level 17 the way up in the air lower resolution tiles? I'm gonna take a screenshot from top down so you can see in a couple minutes ... thanks ddrueding! ps, on a differnt topic, do you know anything about the 'Optimize for high airspeed' check box when installing TP?see my other question here: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=242132

If you fly in the same area, say, a single State, which you probably do since you fly low and slow, you'll wind up storing lots of tiles. It's gonna be costly though. I have criss-crossed Wyoming and I have something like 40 or 50 GB in tiles so far. But if you do, you'll have all the tiles you need, far or close. I'm sure it varies with puters, but with mine, loading the Scenery Library once in a while seems to load everything fine. However the re-loading gets more and more rare as you store more tiles. Defragging also helps but winds up taking a lot of time (3 hours in my case at this point!).

Darrin,with all the FSX and TP internal numbers, it's a difficult subject to talk about but I'll give it a shot. There is a somewhat comprehensible explanation of Scenery in the SDK that also should be read.Within the sim there is background imagery/scenery tiles that provide the surface appearance at different levels of Detail (LOD). The more coarse imagery extends as far as is visible within the sim. The nearer scenery blocks normally would have more detail (higher LOD)- each closer ring of blocks having ever higher LOD up to the limit set with the scenery slider.Setting the slider at 5m basically means you won't be seeing much detail for objects or features that are smaller than 5 meters. Roads and streams will have jagged edges. This is easier on the processor and graphics card and is fine for flying at 10-15 thousand feet. I personally like flying under and between trees so 7cm resolution would be "heavenly" ... if it were available with consistant color and if I had a Terabyte HD - and somebody to download for hundreds of hours while I was at work. I wouldn't think this much scenery could be downloaded and integrated into the sim on-the-fly; just on-the-crawl, maybe...The highest reasonablely/universally CONSISTANT imagery I've seen was LOD 11. So as an experiment I set up the ini like so:max_lod=11preload_min_lod=8preload_max_lod=11The TP map shows only 3 rings inside the display - representing LOD 9,10,11 rings; LOD8 extends beyond the range of the map and is the maximum displayed area where photo tiles are seen in the top-down view.The tiles loaded however are only from 3 levels of detail - 11,12,13 with 11 being used for both LOD 8 and 9. Thus the mapping level and min/max set in the individual sections at the bottom of the ini...min_level=10max_level=13level_mapping=11,11,12,13Important to remember: these "LEVEL" numbers are 2 "higher" than the LOD numbers used at the top of the ini. Max_lod=11 is equivalent to max_level=13 for the photoimagery.At medium scenery range (3.5 in the fsx.cfg on my machine), the LOD8 scenery "range" was about 80 miles out in every direction so the settings I've represented would approximately pull level11 tiles for 6400 square miles. The LOD9 range (I'm simplifying here...) might be 40 miles so 1600 square miles of - wait, I already have level11 tiles for this ring as I told it to use level11 tiles in place of level10 tiles in LOD8. The LOD10 circle of scenery might extend only 20 miles out so I'd pull 400 sq miles of level12 tiles and the closest LOD11 ring would need perhaps 100 sq miles of level 13 tiles. Level 13 tiles should be at resolution 20m/pixel... This is relatively coarse scenery but it looks pretty good from 25000'. Not what either of us are hoping for.So, to see detail (pretend for a moment we're in FS9 with a 4.7m max resolution) at 5 meters/pixel means raising the max_lod to 13 and max_level to 15. This setup could bemax_lod=13preload_min_lod=8preload_max_lod=13.......min_level=10max_level=15level_mapping=11,11,12,13,14,15orlevel_mapping=11,11,12,13,15,15 (if I wanted to use another level of tiles for 2 LOD as before.The current limitation of TP is LEVEL 19/LOD17 (30cm). If you do not specify level mapping to limit what is downloaded, TP will download every available level within the range you've specified. Keep the two settings (LOD and Level) synchronized.So the maximum range of detail with the highest settings usable in FSX would be with FSX set to 30cm and Tile Proxy ini setup:max_lod=17preload_min_lod=8preload_max_lod=17.......min_level=10max_level=19(with or without level mapping)ddrueding's level mapping of 9,9,9,9,9,17,17,17,17 would indeed limit TP to downloading only those two resolutions of tiles (9 and 17). The level9 tiles would be used for all of the more remote ranges and level17 tiles would be adapted and used for all the nearer scenery rings. What you can't exactly tell from just that info is the sim scenery resolution settings - but level17 is 1.2m tiles. This may be used with the 1m setting in FSX - but could be with any of the finer settings as well. Max of LOD 17 (30cm) requires the level 19 tiles to be specified as the max_level.In summary, yes, you can tell Tile Proxy what levels to download and where to use them. Implied in the TP LOD 8 minimum: It wouldn't seem that you would need to specify any level like the min_level=5 that you illustrated in your post; I think that anything more coarse than what is needed for the LOD8 range is going to be outside the range of what TP handles and would be taken care of by FSX/FS9 itself from the internal scenery tiles.I hope this helps clarify rather than confuse the issue of LOD's and Tiles and level mapping. And I sincerely hope that my understanding is at least approximately right.Loyd

Thanks Loyd! - With that explained, I am now able to understand Tileproxy a whole lot better, and now I have it configured just right ... things never looked better! I have it set to preload 15, but 17 is available if I fly over an area that has it. I do run the large raduis, and TP fills in nice high res tiles as far as my eye can see ... on a 24 inch LCD running FSX at 1920 x 1200 4x/4x . . . http://www.mainecustomdesign.com/tileproxy/Aug7.jpgand http://www.mainecustomdesign.com/tileproxy/Aug8.jpgWhen I run Tileproxy, it fills in all but two big circles and I'm ready to go ... if I fly over an area that has higher res, it fills in the other two circles! - Thanks again Loyd!

Hi, I was trawling back through old posts in search of useful information on TileProxy and found this post ( amongst many others!!) I have 2 questions, if I am using LOD radius 4.5 in FSX, and typically fly at 2- 3000 ft agl, how many LOD rings would I see ?I am intrigued by the idea of just using the rings that I can see, and trying to get them displayed at the best resolution in relation to performance that I can. DDrueders suggestion for example of 9,9,9,9,17,17,17,17 - Would this not mean a larger performance burden on the machine, ( even though you are only downloading 2 types of tile ) as your machine has to rrender a far greater amount of high res tiles? Cheers, Mark

I have 2 questions, if I am using LOD radius 4.5 in FSX, and typically fly at 2- 3000 ft agl, how many LOD rings would I see ?I am intrigued by the idea of just using the rings that I can see, and trying to get them displayed at the best resolution in relation to performance that I can. DDrueders suggestion for example of 9,9,9,9,17,17,17,17 - Would this not mean a larger performance burden on the machine, ( even though you are only downloading 2 types of tile ) as your machine has to render a far greater amount of high res tiles? Cheers, Mark
I wish we could move this discussion to a classroom with a blackboard.... it's hard doing with words only - I'm still losing images from posts so I'm reluctant to bother posting a graphic representation that is lost a few hours later.How many LOD rings can you see from 3000' AGL? I don't know - is it flat terrain or hilly or mountainous? The LOD rings cover more surface AREA using larger settings so the appearance of the distant horizon is improved by pushing photo-coverage further out. I'm thinking I had photo coverage pushed out to 1.3

Hey Loyd, just have to say thank you for the time and effort you put in to answering these questions, you are not only a very clever guy, but incredibly generous with your time and effort as well, so thank you!! I am learning so much, but still I fear I need to go back over all your posts and re read many times to fully understand how this all works. It is so complex ! But I am enjoying it, part of the reson I like FSX so much is that it is so much more than a computer game, I really feel that not only do you have all the real world procedural stuff you can learn, but its also a back door way of learning so much about programming and computers function. Anyway, I will study this in depth later. In answer to your question, I think a good comparison product would be Megascenery, I have nearly all their stuff, its at 1.2m resolution, so should be near enough for your comparison. You can also buy by the tile, which do not cost too much if dont want to shell out plenty $$$$$Thanks again, and speak soon, Cheers, Mark