Sign in to follow this  
Guest varignet

Realistic aircraft realism settings

Guest varignet

Hello,I'm back to the fs world after a few years and just picked up fsx gold and the av8r stick :)One of the things I didn't quite like was the handling of planes they seem too sensitive and tend to roll too much requiring way too much trimming to stabilize (torque modeling too high).Would you recommend reducing the aicraft realism sliders in order to get "more realistic" dynamics?Also is the freeware fsuipc essential nowadays?Lastly do fs2004 landclass files work fine on fsx?Thanks!Luca

Hello,I'm back to the fs world after a few years and just picked up fsx gold and the av8r stick :)One of the things I didn't quite like was the handling of planes they seem too sensitive and tend to roll too much requiring way too much trimming to stabilize (torque modeling too high).Would you recommend reducing the aicraft realism sliders in order to get "more realistic" dynamics?Also is the freeware fsuipc essential nowadays?Lastly do fs2004 landclass files work fine on fsx?Thanks!Luca
Have a look for updated flight dynamics by Alexander Metzger: http://www.metzgergva.de/default_e.htmAlso, suggest buying the RealAir SF260 Marchetti (or Scout) if you want an airplane that handles really well.

Bert

Guest jshyluk

1)Certainly, there's no reason why not to adjust the realism sliders to suit your needs. For the record, most helicopters work best with the Medium settings, as the High settings eliminate the flight modelling needed for autototations and low-level hovers. Jeff Van West and Kevin Lane-Cummings, the pilot-instructors who wrote the authoritative "FSX For Pilots" book swear by using Medium settings in sim flightThere is such a wide range of controllers and systems out there, you have to adjust the sim to adapt to what you have at hand. It's not realistic if it's a complete chore to fly. Be aware, though, that you may also need to tune your controllers as well as the sim. The higher quality your controllers are, the more good control you will have over your aircraft.2)FSUIPC is not essential if you don't plan to get any add-ons. However, many add-ons use it, so I would reccommend getting a copy. If you want to truly fine-tune your controls, you may want to shell out for the payware version.3)The scenery system in FSX is totally different from the scenery in FS9. I would seriously doubt that the landclass data could be carried over, although I never tried. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

1)Certainly, there's no reason why not to adjust the realism sliders to suit your needs. For the record, most helicopters work best with the Medium settings, as the High settings eliminate the flight modelling needed for autototations and low-level hovers. Jeff Van West and Kevin Lane-Cummings, the pilot-instructors who wrote the authoritative "FSX For Pilots" book swear by using Medium settings in sim flightThere is such a wide range of controllers and systems out there, you have to adjust the sim to adapt to what you have at hand. It's not realistic if it's a complete chore to fly. Be aware, though, that you may also need to tune your controllers as well as the sim. The higher quality your controllers are, the more good control you will have over your aircraft.2)FSUIPC is not essential if you don't plan to get any add-ons. However, many add-ons use it, so I would reccommend getting a copy. If you want to truly fine-tune your controls, you may want to shell out for the payware version.3)The scenery system in FSX is totally different from the scenery in FS9. I would seriously doubt that the landclass data could be carried over, although I never tried. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM
Hi thanks for the great info. I just have one question though. Would you recommend medium settings for flying planes as well, other than rotorcraft?

Guest varignet
3)The scenery system in FSX is totally different from the scenery in FS9. I would seriously doubt that the landclass data could be carried over, although I never tried.
Thanks I found a good feel with medium aircraft realism settings and my joystick. Regarding sceneries I found a couple of interesting problems concerning the scenery.cfg file:1)it looks like if I add sceneries from the scenery menu they don't show up on c:\fsx\scenery.cfg2)also I find it really hard to add sceneries as when I press "ok" nothing happens (and yes the custom scenery folder does contain a sub folder called scenery with some .bgls inside).. since I'm on vista 64bit I believe it might have something to do with it.Any idea?Thanks a lot!Luca

Thanks I found a good feel with medium aircraft realism settings and my joystick. Regarding sceneries I found a couple of interesting problems concerning the scenery.cfg file:1)it looks like if I add sceneries from the scenery menu they don't show up on c:\fsx\scenery.cfg2)also I find it really hard to add sceneries as when I press "ok" nothing happens (and yes the custom scenery folder does contain a sub folder called scenery with some .bgls inside).. since I'm on vista 64bit I believe it might have something to do with it.Any idea?Thanks a lot!Luca
Luca I had the same problem adding scenery on my Vista machine but solved it by the following steps:1. After selecting Add Area, open Addon Scenery folder.2. If right handed ( I'm a lefty) right click the scenery you wish to add.3. Select Properties at the bottom of the list and uncheck the read only box.4. Hit apply, ok and another ok ---- the desired scenery should appear in the list.Sorry if I've high-jacked the post for a bit.Gary

Guest varignet
Luca I had the same problem adding scenery on my Vista machine but solved it by the following steps:1. After selecting Add Area, open Addon Scenery folder.2. If right handed ( I'm a lefty) right click the scenery you wish to add.3. Select Properties at the bottom of the list and uncheck the read only box.4. Hit apply, ok and another ok ---- the desired scenery should appear in the list.Sorry if I've high-jacked the post for a bit.Gary
Thanks for the read-only tip Gary, it works however pressing "ok" doesn't work I need to press the center of the window instead (!)..anyway vista doesn't make sense does it? :(